X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

Non Resident Lifetime Falkland Islands VP8 licences

Non-resident lifetime Falkland Islands VP8 licences - common sense prevails

An element of the new 2017 Falkland Islands Communication Ordinance was a desire to bring “amateur radio licencing in the Falkland Islands into the 21st Century” through a re-validation exercise of VP8 licences which started in early 2020.

However, a new requirement was included in the new VP8 Licence Terms & Conditions. For an existing VP8 licence to be revalidated, a minimum 6-month residency in the Falkland Islands was now required. This lead to all non-resident VP8 licences failing the revalidation exercise and being cancelled as a result.".

Following an email exchange with the Falkland Islands Communications Regulator, he stated that he considered the case closed. I raised a complaint about this decision in the form of a ‘Notice of Appeal’. This was due to be heard in the Falkland Islands Magistrates Court in November 2020.

The case will not now proceed to court after all as the Regulator has decided to restore my Falkland Islands VP8 licences and apply the same principle to other non-resident lifetime VP8 licence holders on a “case-by-case” basis. My costs will be paid as well..

The full story can be read here – Non-resident lifetime Falkland Islands VP8 licences – common sense prevails.

South Georgia and Antarctic VP8 Amateur Radio Licensing

Following the recent cancellation and subsequent restoration of Chris Gare’s non-resident lifetime VP8 Falkland Islands licences, the associated cancellation of all VP8 Antarctic & South Georgia licences is now in the spotlight.

For further information contact Chris, G3WOS or Alan, VP8PJ.

Chris Gare, G3WOS VP8DBL VP8WOS

1982 Liberation Memorial, Stanley, Falkland Islands

1982 Liberation Memorial, Stanley, Falkland Islands. Author - Ted McGrath.
    73 Al 4L5A
Working...
X