X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

ClubLog News

New feature coming soon: Club Log Live Streams By G7VJR, Michael Wells

I've been busy working on this for some time now. Just letting you know (by way of a sneak preview) to expect a new feature, hopefully this week. I'm calling it Club Log Live Streams, and what it does is provide a dashboard of your QSOs. This is designed for an expedition but it'll be available to every user, providing a continually-updating console with a map of where the QSOs are going, on which band etc. The idea is that this can be used standalone (probably very helpful if an expedition is on and logging in real-time, as it will help you chase them!) and can also be embedded in other web pages or bookmarked.

More on this soon. It's a big bundle of new technology, so it's been lots of fun getting it this far!
    73 Al 4L5A
  •  

Club Log's G7VJR, Michael Wells, tweets "Live Stream is now available to test. Here's how to get started!"
    https://clublog.freshdesk.com/suppor...g-live-streams
    73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

Hi all,

I've been busy this weekend doing a range of work on Club Log (hopefully, unnoticed!). This has included some low-level profiling to find performance bottlenecks. With an application like Club Log, the older and more complex code tends to be left untouched for quite extended periods of time. This is basically the "let sleeping dogs lie" approach to maintenance, but once in a while I do like to tear up the old stuff and see whether it can't be improved upon.

I've made a particularly big improvement to the DXCC League Tables (https://clublog.org/league.php) which should mean the page loads a lotfaster, and when you switch between pages it will not take very long to redraw the next page of the league. This was getting too slow (over 15s) before, and should now take no more than a few seconds on the global league table, and much less on smaller regional ones. The way this was being built before had to consider all possible logs, but now it only considers logs that might actually appear in the league table based on the previous updates - a significant reduction in the amount of work to build the page. I'm keen to hear if anyone has issues as a result of a change so please let me know of any problems.

I've also done some tidying up. Club Log was carrying a lot of dormant accounts; my definition of 'dormant' is accounts that haven't uploaded anything (ever), and no-one has logged in for at least 12 months. I suppose these accounts get created speculatively, and then the person who signed up changes their mind or doesn't know if they need Club Log after all. Well, these accounts have been deleted today, to free up resources for users who are active. This contributes quite a bit to the smooth running of Club Log, so I am putting automatic house-keeping on this in place to ensure dormant accounts don't accumulate again in future.

Lastly, congratulations to Ken, 6O7O for showing Live Streams off! (Great timing and willingness to try a new feature - super helpful of you Ken, I needed just such a trial run!). The peak audience, if you will, for the Live Stream was 350 people at a time. I can see that A35JT is now getting a lot of attention, and the WWV special event (WW0WWV) is also very popular. I hope you have been enjoying this new tool. I have ironed out quite a few little issues and will look at any changes to features in a month or two, depending on feedback. One I would like to do is automatically chase the latest QSOs by scaling the map view to include the last DX logged and the DX station. This might need to be optional as it does involve a lot of motion on the screen, which some people won't want.

vy 73
      Michael G7VJR
      73 Al 4L5A

Comment

Working...
      X