• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

SAC Contest - In memory OH3VV

OT VILHO VIRTANEN, OH3VV, 94, SILENT KEY

LET’S PAY OUR RESPECTS TO THE MEMORY OF VILI, OH3VV,
    IN THE 62nd SCANDINAVIAN ACTIVITY CONTEST NEXT WEEK SATURDAY.

SEPTEMBER 19, 1200 UTC to September 20, 1200 UTC

On September 9th, 2020, OT Vili, OH3VV, 94, left us and departed for better propagation regions, further up in the horizon! Vili was one of the most active and internationally known OH-hams in the 1960’s through the Finn-Net operated by him and his late XYL, Irmeli, OH3TJ. Vili was involved in a vast variety of activities and all foreign hams visiting Finland experienced his hospitality and camaraderie. Villi was a true Ham – spelled with a capital H.

Vili was a true DXer and contester in the terms’ realest meaning – he had worked them all – Kosovo was his last one. He was also a contester who participated and won the very first SAC in 1958 (OH5QN), and still jumped into the 60th SAC last year, using a specially granted callsign, OH2A.

See his interview after the 2019 SAC;
    https://www.sactest.net/blog/wp-cont...oklet-2019.pdf

Vili missed his 100th birthday by only some time, but his legacy will be with us forever.

More details will follow about OT Vili, OH2TH/OH3VV, but those who knew him well will remember Vili in next week’s SAC by the distinctive code VV.

Come along and see the rules; https://.sactest.net/blog/rules/

RIP OT Vili, OH3VV

Martti, OH2BH and all of Vili’s friends in Amateur Radio.

Remembering Ville Virtanen - OH3VV, A Very Special Friend from the Distance

I first encountered Ville in 1983 when Dad - K8HHZ (also SK) and I were planning our very first trip to Finland. One of our mandated stops was to visit Ville and Irmeli - OH3TJ. This pattern was repeated in 1986 during our second trip to Finland.

Every occasion with the VIrtanens was fun and pleasant. Ville was a skilled and knowledgeable operator. When he decided to become active on 160 meters, he produced a quality signal. When a little imagination was required, Ville knew what to do. For the very first 4J1FS operation, Finland was in a difficult spot for propagation on 20 meters. So, Ville and some pals set up a station close to Finnish/Russian border and got a new one. A few people shook their heads, but the mission was accomplished.

I will miss Ville. It was my pleasure to work Ville in the 2019 running of the SAC. This was our last QSO. But I will always have the fond memories of knowing a kind and thoughtful man, who knew what it took to work DX and contests. You do not replace men like that.

Rest in Peace, Ville.

Your friend, Don Karvonen - K8MFO, 10 September 2020
    73 Al 4L5A
Working...
X