Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

Hello Al,

many thanks for this great thread. Just stumbled over it and I am deeply impressed about the information and the media provided. Thanks also for the URL to windy.com

I looked the Garmin GPS track of the Betanzos vessel. Many days I asked myself and wondered why vessel Betanzos did have such a huge drift in the path. I copied the GPS way path and overlaid it into the windy.com image. Look at this, I think the picture is self-explanatory

3Y0Z Bouvet Island Wind map

Just after they passed the strong winds, they turned to left as the resistance were much weaker. This is more secure for the vessel and also saves fuel.

I wish all the best to the whole 3Y0Z team and of course to the Betanzos crew with all the experienced guys. May god bless you, GOOD LUCK and GOOD DX!
    Last edited by DD5XX; 02-01-2018, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• 4L5A
      4L5A commented
      Editing a comment
      Great picture Saki
      Really explain lot
  •  

3Y0Z Bouvet Island News FEBRUARY 1 — Our ship is still at anchor off the east side of Bouvet. Winds are 35 to 40 knots, and the ship is pitching and rolling up to 30 degrees. This makes flying and a landing attempt impossible today. The temperature is hovering at around 0 degrees C. Visibility has improved.
    We are poised and ready when a weather window opens. We had our maritime mobile station up for a few hours, but had to take it down again to avoid damage caused by the extreme motion of the ship. Hang in there with us!

Ralph, KØIR

3Y0Z Bouvet Island Betanzos crew drops the anchor.

A member of the Betanzos crew drops the anchor a half mile off the east coast of Bouvet Island.
    73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

62 mph sustained winds. Ship is rockin and rolling at anchor. Video courtesy of NM1Y

73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

3Y0Z News February 1, 2018, 1445 UTC:
        Winds have increased to 45 knots.
        Unsecured items are again sliding across floors and tables.
        Some team members are again feeling seasick.

The barometer has risen, slightly. We are anxiously awaiting calmer conditions.

Hang in there with us!

Ralph, KØIR
        73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

3Y0Z Bouvet Island News 1 February 2018.
          Winds have increased to 80+ mph this afternoon. Hold on NM1Y and team !

73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

To understand difficulties of 3Y0Z Team
            Video
            This video shows a landing conducted by a Prism Defence Test Pilot and Flight Test Engineer during development of Ship Helicopter Operating Limits for the Lynx Mark 90B helicopter onboard the KNUD RASMUSSEN class Offshore Patrol Vessel.

Operating helicopters onboard ships is extremely complex, due in part to the difficulty of landing a helicopter on a moving platform, but also due to numerous practical engineering issues.
            Author - Ronaldo Barbieri.

It’s an amazing , of a military helicopter landing on the deck of a rather small ship in rough seas and see the extent to which the deck of the ship is just rolling with the waves. It’s amazing they can land in these conditions. Operating helicopters onboard ships is extremely complex, due in part to the difficulty of landing a helicopter on a moving platform, but also due to numerous practical engineering
            Author - Military Colonel.

73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

3Y0Z News 2 January 2018 07.15 GMT
              The wind abated slightly and team is waiting for pilots decision.
              73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

3Y0Z News 2 January 2018 08.25
                Weather still not supporting. Fog and ship is still rockin.
                They waiting for better wx.
                73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

Out of curiosity: do 3Y0Z team have a specific overall time window which they can stay there ? I mean: let's say the weather will be bad and they will "loose" 5 days from their DXpedition. How will they react? Will they be able to "add" another 5 days or do they have to return on a specific day? How is that handled?

Comment

•  

3Y0Z Bouvet Island DX Pedition News 13.00 UTC
                    Weather is still bad and team is still on ship.
                    73 Al 4L5A

Comment

Working...
                    X