Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

V73AX - Kwajalein Atoll - Marshall Islands

V73AX Club station of KARC, Kwajalein Amateur Radio Club back on the air and will be active from Kwajalein Atoll, IOTA OC - 028, Marshall Islands.
    Information from their qrz page:
    Yes, V73AX is back on the air!

After more than five years of inactivity, bureaucratic channels to locate the keys which unlock the ham shack were persistantly navigated for about a year, only to discover our neighbor had them all along. Zoinks!

Overlooking the Pacific Ocean (literally just a few paces to the shore), some 2000 miles WSW of Hawaii, our long neglected ham shack is again buzzing with the strains of Morse, SSB-tinged voices, along with some dabbling in digital modes. The Marshall Islands are spectacularly gorgeous, and quite well suited for launching MF/HF/VHF signals around our Earth.

If we've made contact, then we extend our gratitude and thanks to you. If not, we look forward to working you in the future!

V73AX Kwalein Amateur Radio Club, Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands
    73 Al 4L5A
  •  

I think, the Pacific Ocean is the best place for DXing
    My name is Pavel and this is my test signature

Comment

•  

I'm a new ham (K4MEZ) and I've been operating for only a few months. I'm currently limited to digital. I was excited to see that V73AX was going to resume operation as I lived on Kwajalein from 1965-1970. My recollection is the ham shack was directly across the road from the main softball field and basketball courts. I'm in Jacksonville, Florida so digital would be my only hope of making contact. I tried to email V73AX@hotmail.com but that mailbox appears to be dormant. I would really like to contact someone int the Kwajalein Amateur Radio Club to find out what digital modes they might be using. I'm not sure how to reach them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 73 and Yokwe Yuk!
      73 Dave K4MEZ

Comment

• V7/KX4QD/V73AX
        V7/KX4QD/V73AX commented
        Editing a comment
        Sir,

I am one of three active ham radio operators on Kwajalein and I just saw your post. You are correct on the shack location although the basketball courts were replaced with a skate park and then that was torn down and now it is just all softball fields.My name is Randy Hisle I have been on Kwaj for a little over a year and usually use V7/KX4QD at least until I get my Marshallese license. You can contact me directly at randyh19622@yahoo.com and I work FT-8 around 0600 Zulu on Fridays and other week days normally. If you want to schedule a time to connect, let me know and I will be there. I also have QSL cards with a picture of the ham shack at sunrise if you would like one. Life on Kwaj has not changed too much but the old timers here tell me it is not as great as it was. Personally I love it here! Tropical paradise with no cars and no Covid. Looking forward to hearing from you. 73
    •  

V73NS is very active but only CW.
      73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

Thanks, Al. That is a great tip!
        73 Dave K4MEZ

Comment

•  

Dave you can check usually V73NS active around 04, 05 UTC and earlier also.
          73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

I will be visiting Kwaj with work in a few months. Being a US citizen can I transmit from there from the military area or ham shack?

Comment

• V7/KX4QD/V73AX
              V7/KX4QD/V73AX commented
              Editing a comment
              Not sure if you still need this info but you can transmit from the island ham shack. WE have an Icom 7410 with a 1500 Watt amplifier running into a log periodic but the rotor is non functional. Hoping to get that fixed soon. Feel free to contact me at randyh19622@yahoo.com if you are on island now or if you need more info.
          •  

Hi Donald!
            I think best way will be to contact V73AX
            V73AX@hotmail.com
            There are few local amateurs
            I dont know for sure if V73AX is equipped really or not
            Anyway with my understanding you will need to get V7 license anyway
            I dont know how long you going to stay there and if you going to bring your own equipment?
            I dont think license will be big problem there but its better to check in advance.
            73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

V73AX from Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands on 28028 now.
              73 Al 4L5A

Comment

• VK4ZTG
                VK4ZTG commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi all I am Terry Griffiths VK4ZTG presently based in Queensland and due to visit the Marshalls for a radio project arriving 28/9.23, I look forward to catching up with club members , I will be bringing my digital hotspot to connect with DMR and fusion, I usually connect with the America Link WiresX net on Sunday Australian time. 73s VK4ZTG/P29ZTC
            •  

Originally posted by 4L5A View Post
              V73AX from Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands on 28028 now.
              That was V7/KA4WPX operating. Many thanks for the alert and to all who made contact.

Comment

Working...
              X