Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

KL2TC - Chugiak - Alaska

Al, KL2TC is active from Chugiak, Alaska.
    He is active on HF Bands.
    QSL via KL2TC.
    Ads for direct QSL:
    Allen Koenig, 21313 Jayhawk Dr, Chugiak, AK, 99567, USA.
    QTH Locator - BP51gj.
    Information from his qrz page:
    Greetings from Chugiak, Alaska! My wife and I are now up to 2.5 dogs and still live here in the woods outside of Eagle River. I really like all of the antennas out in the farm and haven't added to them in a couple of years. My favorite of the crop is a restored Swan TB-3HA three element tri-bander. I have it sitting atop a Rohn tower outside of my shack. I was a really nice deal from a benevolent ham who was moving out of state and didn't want to bother with it. He also gave me a bunch of parts, enough to build another tri-bander or two.

I love radios. I used to pull them out of the trash and fix them for friends when I was a kid. I really liked those old tube receivers. I used to haul paper bags full of tubes down to the Rexall Pharmacy and use their tube tester. At one time I had quite a collection. I think my mom sent them to live with all of those baseball cards and Mad Magazines that I no longer have. My dad was a combat radio operator during the "big war" and was a constant encouragement for me to build radios and experiment with electronics. He taught me code at a young age, which I am trying to do with my grandson.

I still like working on boat anchors and have all kinds of radios on the bench. An FT-101e and two hallicrafter receivers that are really in need of work. I have finished restoring an FT-757GX that works like a champ and an old Heath Kit GR-64 receiver. Even after hooking that GR-64 up to my antenna farm that receiver has the worst ears of any thing I have ever owned. The GR-64 was the first radio that my Dad and I built together back in 1964 and this one is its spitting image, so it isn't going anywhere. I just got a Hallicrafters S-40S on the bench which will require a lot of work, but that is the radio that really got me interested in SW and ham radio when I was a kid so I want to smell those tubes heating up again.

I am also a member of the Borealis Amateur Radio Club. I work a two week on and two week off schedule at a Base Camp in the Arctic in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. We formed a club, got a bunch of radio gear, but up a beam, and are having the time of our lives with amateur radio. We are like a bunch of kids again. Our club callsign is WL7CXA, so you might hear us beaming from the far North. We are starting license classes soon and are going to have an active 2 meter presence on IRLP and Echo Link as well as the HF bands. Point your antenna North and try 20 and 10 meters.

73 Al KL2TC

KL2TC Chugiak, Alaska
    73 Al 4L5A
Working...
X