Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

W0AIH - Paul Bittner - Fall Creek - USA

W0AIH, Paul Bittner from Fall Creek, USA passed away.
    Information from N9ISN:
    I received very very sad news this evening. Paul W0AIH passed away late this afternoon (Wednesday). It was a tower accident involving his 40m tower
    he was working on in getting ready for SS. Mary says he fell 60 feet.
    No information on services as of yet.
    I'm still in shock and I am out of tears.
    73 Al N9ISN (one of the W0AIH ops)

W0AIH Paul Bittner, Fall Creek, USA
    73 Al 4L5A
  •  

From Paul Gentry, K9PG
    The contesting world lost one of the true GIANTS in our hobby today. Paul Bittner passed away working on one of his towers getting the station ready for Sweepstakes. I feel so incredibly fortunate to have had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with him while in Germany this past July at WRTC 2018. I also just happened to record this 20 minute chat with him while in Carsten Dauer's car driving around to various sites with Mike Tessmer K9NW. Absolutely fantastic memories that will be treasured by all 3 of us for as long as we're alive.

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Thank you Rev Paul Bittner W0AIH.... RIP my friend.

73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

From Bernie McLenny, W3UR Editor of The Daily DX

Many will recognize the W0AIH call as one of the big multi-multi contest stations from the Upper Midwest. "The Farm" was located on 120 acres with his nearest neighbor over a half a mile away. Reverend Paul was a retired Lutheran Minister. He was a member of the CQ Contest Hall of Fame. He was mostly known as a contester but he had deep roots in the DX world having 340/390 (current/total) confirmed on his ARRL DXCC Mixed award.

Over the years Paul officiated multiple ham marriages with either the OM or the YL being an Amateur Radio operator. On June 2nd he did the honors between WB9Z, Jerry, and NV9L, Val, the first couple to both be hams. Paul "was a true gentleman, and an inspiration to all those who met him or had the opportunity to operate from his World renown Station", recalls Jerry. Paul is survived by his wife WB0PXM, Mary, and son-in-law W0UC, Paul. Our condolences to the entire Bittner family.
      73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

From Jose Ramon Hierro Peris, EA7KW:
        I'm shocked.

His station was a classic one to work on every big contest over the years.
        Met Mary and him wen they visited Seville five years ago. First thing he did when arrived home was climbing to the top of my tower, dressed in suit, no safety belt, taking some pictures from there. He said it was a must to do when meeting a ham at the station.

We me also last summer during the last WRTC in Germany and just the day before yesterday we exchanged emails about the last weekend phone contest.
        He also said he was planning to go to the WRTC in Italy. *"...and I'll be
        88 years old then...if I'm not SK Mary and I want to go there! " *Sadly he won't make it.

I don't know if the W0AIH operators will do something special with his call in the next CQWW CW. It will be an honor to work you guys as a proper farewell to Paul.

Descansa en paz, amigo.

Jose, EA7KW
        73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

Very sa news I've work Paul many times. He was a real nice guy. Take care my friend and 73!

Comment

•  

From Dmitry Zaslavsky, UA3AGW:
            A couple of days before the just-past CQWW SSB 2018 Contest, I had a bad dream that my friend Paul had died. Naturally, I could not believe it and tried in every way to get rid of these bad thoughts. In the end, we just recently met at WRTC 2018, and he felt good and looked great for his age. Watching the spots with W0AIH during CQWW and checking logs for VP6D and the Z23MD expedition that has just begun and finding W0AIH call sign there, I finally calmed down. What was my surprise when, after reading today the information from Scott KA9FOX, I realized that, unfortunately, my dream was prophetic! Verily, the Lord takes the very best from us. I was lucky to meet Paul in the old Soviet times, when he was on a trip to Moscow, moreover, I was one of his guides. I also had a pleasure of working together with him in a UN5G team in the CQWW SSB Contest 1999 from Kazakhstan during his trip to Almaty with his Lutheran religious mission. Unforgettable for me will remain forever my two visits to him on an antenna farm with a few-hour observation tour, his friendly shack, contest operations and a great hospitality of his wonderful wife Mary with her sincere motherly care of me. Not to mention our parade visit to Veterans memorial bridge and the celebration of Memorial Day in the nearby park and wonderful party with delicious BBQ at the house with his big and friendly family, despite his fatigue after the just past CQWPX Contest. It is impossible not to mention his great contribution to Contesting, for which he was introduced to the CQ Contest Hall of Fame. And during Top Band Dinner in Dayton, he was always one of celebrities. I am familiar with his vast experience and professional skill (yes, he installed antennas not only for himself and his amateur friends, but also for professional UHF / VHF FM Broadcasting Stations). I do not for a moment doubt his proper use of safety measures and general compliance with safety regulations as antenna climber and rigger. He has done this a hundreds, if not thousands times before. And this is not a traffic accident. Therefore, I really do not want to believe Paul’s passing away from an accident while working on the tower. It's just that his time must have come and the Lord called him to His Paradise during his favorite work, as often happens with great actors on stage during a performance. Eternal memory to you, R.I.P. my dear American friendand God Bless you! I will pray for you and we - hams and your friends will be always missing you. Sincere condolences to your wife Mary and all the big Bittner Family.

Dima, UA3AGW
            73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

W0AIH Paul Bittner Tribute.
              This is my tribute to one of my Dearest friends Reverend Paul Bittner W0AIH.
              Author - Valerie Hotzfeld.

73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

Funeral of Paul Bittner WØAIH
                11am November 10, 2018

73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

Most of the hams who went to Paul Bittner's funeral.... Nov 10, 2018.

W0AIH After funeral
                  73 Al 4L5A

Comment

Working...
                  X