Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

K8CC - David Pruett - Ypsilanti - Michigan - USA

Dave David A. Pruett, K8CC from Ypsilanti, Michigan, USA passed away 29 December 2020.
    Dave was well known contester and DXer.
    Information from his qrz page:
    President: Mad River Radio Club (MRRC)

Member: Southeast Michigan DX Association (SEMDXA), and the Michigan VHF-UHF Society (MIVUS)

Great Lakes Division Representative: ARRL Contest Advisory Committee (CAC)

Chairman: Michigan QSO Party Organizing Committee

ARRL Volunteer Log Checker for the ARRL 10M Contest

Former editor, National Contest Journal

I was first licensed in 1969 as Novice Class WN8DCR while a sophomore in high school, taking my Novice exam at the Heathkit store which used to be on 8 Mile Road. I upgraded to Advanced Class WB8DCR that same year, and upgraded to Extra Class in 1976. I obtained the callsign K8CC in 1977, prior to the vanity callsign program.

Other callsigns I have held: WB5XTU, WB5YEM, K8CC/HR1, HR1DAP, K8CC/C6A, KP3/K8CC and KP2/K8CC.

I grew up in Livonia, MI, running low power with simple antennas from my parent’s QTH. I developed a love for contesting after several years operating Field Day with Bill, W8BVU (later W0VM, now a Silent Key). In 1976, I went away to college in Siloam Springs, AR where I became long-time friends with father & son amateurs John, N5DX (now a Silent Key) and Stan, K5GO Stockton and operated many contests with them from N5DX. I returned home from college in 1982, and joined the Mad River Radio Club at the Dayton Hamvention that same year and resumed contesting from Michigan. I also met Mike, W8UA (now a Silent Key) and operated many contests from his QTH.

In 1983, I bought 5 acres in Superior Township, MI and built my current QTH. The first tower went up the weekend of the 1986 CQWW SSB contest, and I operated the 1986 CW SS contest one week later. The station has grown to five towers with 30 antennas from 1.8 to 1296 MHz. With the help of other operators, we have operated many contests and accumulated over 300,000 QSOs (all uploaded to the ARRL Logbook Of the World), enough for 5BDXCC, 5BWAS and over 250 countries.

I graduated from John Brown University (WA5YJV) in 1982 with a degree in Electrical Engineering. I retired in June 2014 after 33-1/2 years at Chrysler Corporation.

I have been to the Caribbean multiple times, operating as K8CC/ C6A from the Bahamas, from Puerto Rico twice as WP3X, and multiple times from St Croix as WP2Z or KP2TM.

In 1996, I participated in the World Radiosport Team Championship in San Francisco, CA as part of a two-man team with K5GO, and we finished in tenth place out of the 52 participating teams from around the world.

My main interests in amateur radio are: HF & VHF/UHF contesting and DXing, developing software for my interests in amateur radio, station design and homebrewing equipment

Other interests: Playing keyboards in the Praise Band at our church.

Dave K8CC

K8CC David Pruett, Ypsilanti, Michigan, USA
    73 Al 4L5A
Working...
X