Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

W1MA - Edward Lajoie - Marstons Mills - USA

Edward V. Lajoie, W1MA from Marstons Mills, USA passed away 3 February 2021, at the age 77.
    Ed was active Contester.
    Information from his qrz page:
    Edward Lajoie, 77, of Marstons Mills, formerly of Norwood, passed away on February 3, 2021 after a brief illness. He was a devoted family man to his wife of 54 years, Anne Lajoie, née Dennehy, his daughters Kristen Blair (spouse Jason) and Jolene Johnson (spouse Michael) and three grandsons whom he adored - Aaron and Zachary Blair and Austin Johnson. He is also survived by his two sisters, Julie Drummey and Claire Alty, both of Norwood, as well as many nieces and nephews. Ed is the son of the late Clara Schroeder and Edward Lajoie, Jr. He was preceded in death by his sister Mary Eileen Mariano.

Ed was proud to have graduated with Catholic Memorial High School’s first graduating class of 1961.

He served in the United States Navy during the Vietnam conflict as a radio operator. Post military service, he attended Northeastern University obtaining a degree in engineering. He enjoyed working in the medical field, educating hospital staff on instrumentation and best laboratory practices. After retirement, he moved to Cape Cod where he made many new friends and found time to enjoy his many hobbies. He enjoyed both deep sea and fly fishing, clamming, and wood turning which was becoming a passion for him. He enjoyed the company of friends in the Barnstable Amateur Radio Club, Barnstable Association of Recreational Shellfishing and Cape Cod Wood Turners. Ed was a former President of the Norwood Amateur Radio Club. Ed was a true people person and made many friends around the world through ham radio. He wishes you all 73’s.

My favorite ham activity is contesting. Years back I operated W1AW at ARRL Headquarters and contacted several amateurs through the Russian RS-12 satellite. The pass duration was approximately 10 minutes over the US East Coast. Had to plan the trip to ARRL HQ to coincide with the satellite pass. I should also mention operating aero mobile on a few occasions while flying as a radio operator in the Navy. The P2V Neptune Patrol aircraft is shown in the photo above. A one hundred foot trailing wire at 5,000 ft on 40 CW is miraculous. This aircraft is now obsolete and was replaced by the Orion P3. The Navy has just recently taken ownership of the new P8A Boing 737s.

My other hobby is fly fishing. Pulaski NY, Douglaston Salmon Run for steelhead, and fishing the Brewster flats on Cape Cod for stripers are two of my favorite spots.

My old calls; KN1IMH, K1IMH, W2GYX, W1HFM, K1CB

Now W1MA

Call history: KN1IMH ( first licensed at age 15 in 1958), K1IMH (General Class at 15) and then Extra at age 24 _ when the lower 25 Khz was designated Extra only. That meant it was time to upgrade. W2GYX ( transferred to Syracuse NY for 2 plus years - I did very little operating but managed to travel extensively throughout Upstate NY.) W1HFM (back to Massachusetts from Syracuse. - my understanding, Syracuse is one of the cloudiest cities in the continental US - My wife Anne could not stand all the snow - average 120 inches a year; K1CB when vanities were first offered to Extra Class and CB was the rage. When Ed O'Donnell, the original holder of the call W1MA past on, I tried convincing his son-in-law Red, W1SYA to upgrade and apply for the call. At the time he did not want to upgrade/apply for the call. Redmond went for his Extra a number of years later. Red and I worked together for many years. His wife Pat KB1CPG was one of my first contacts with the call W1MA. A very memorable QSO on 2 mtrs. Pat also received the first W1MA QSL card I sent out. I gave up the K1CB call ( now held by Charlie Bresnahan in Falmouth MA ) when I applied for the W1MA call.

73,s Ed

ARRL Life Member

Member / Trustee / Past President _ Norwood ARC _ K1JMR

Member / Board _ Norfolk County Radio Assoc. _ W1AGR

Member _ Yankee Clipper Contest Club ( YCCC )

Member_ CWops #1416 ( new member )

10/10 International 37152

LoTW Triple Play Award #743 received July 2012 - DXCC - WAS - WAC - RCC

W1MA K1HC W1JAW

W1MA K1HC W1JAW.
    73 Al 4L5A
Working...
X