Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

KT4P - Virginia Beach - Virginia - USA

Ronald C. Brown, KT4P from Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA passed away.
    Information from his qrz page:
    I was first licensed as a Novice Class in 1959 in Connecticut. I was KN1MEG and then K1MEG after making General class. For two years I had a "secondary" license (remember those?) of WA4JYV. When I moved permanently to Virginia, I received the call W4HIR, which I held until April, 1999.

During three years in the Army, I spent time at: Fort Holabird, MD; Fort Sill, OK; and Seoul, Korea.

While in Korea, I had a second job which involved maintaining HL9US, the recreational station provided by the Army Special Services.

My "duty" was to maintain the equipment and open the station for other hams during off-duty hours. This is the only time I was ever paid to enjoy my hobby.

I was employed by Bell Atlantic as a supervisor of Central Offices in the Norfolk, VA area. After thirty one years of service, I retired in October 1999.

I was then involved in a new venture with a small communications contractor where I engineered central office equipment installations for various telecommunications companies. This came to a halt following Sept 11, 2001 when we lost the contract with our major client.

Ham radio interests are: CW; code; morse; telegraphy; dits & dahs and brass pounding and "finger-talking".

I DO own a microphone, but it has been years since it was used on HF.

I am a member of: Potomac Valley Radio Club, Virginia DX Century Club, USS Wisconsin Radio Club, FOC (#1738), FISTS (#6606), CFO (#614) and QCWA. I enjoy CW rag-chewing as as much as possible, along with some contesting.

Locally, I was an active member of "Buster's Beach Bums" and tried to work every Field Day and Sweepstakes with them. My good friend Bus (K4IX) was the Chief Bum until he became an SK in Spring 2003 It feels strange to operate in either contest without Bus at my side. "We sure do miss you, Bus!"

Because I enjoy CW contesting, I gave up the call sign W4HIR (after 37 years) in favor of the much shorter KT4P in April, 1999.

My oldest son, Mike, surprised me in April of 2001 by getting relicensed and filing a vanity application for W4HIR. It's kinda neat (and wierd) to QSO my "former self" these days. Old dad is proud he chose that call. It gives a different twist to the term "vanity call program" - works great for MY vanity!

KT4P Ronald Brown, Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
    73 Al 4L5A
Working...
X