Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

K4SQR Jim Miller 24 May 2017

K4SQR, Jim Miller, passed away May 24. He had suffered from COPD "for quite some time and his health had been declining for many months."
    Jim was the former owner of Comtek Systems and he had made many four- square antenna phasing systems and other antenna phasing and switching devices. (note his "4SQR" callsign.) Comtek was sold to DX Engineering some years ago. Jim also had the KZ5JM Canal Zone callsign in the 1970s before moving to Charlotte, North Carolina in the early 1980s.
    Information from his qrz.com profile
    After an Honorable Discharge from the U.S. Air Force in 1964, I accepted a position with Lear Siegler for an eight month position performing work under contract with the U.S. Air Force, in the Panama Canal Zone. As I learned more about the Canal Zone, I applied for an appointment with the Canal Zone Government, planning to work for about 2 years and return to my home state of VA.

I met my wife in 1965, and we married in 1966. Our two sons, born in 1967 and 1969, were raIsed in the former Canal Zone.

I learned about amateur radio and began studying, taking the exam in the FCC office in Washington D.C. during a vacation

to the United States, since the Canal Zone required a US license in order to obtain a KZ5 call.

First licensed as WA3SOD, using my in-laws address in MD. I applied for KZ5JM, and was on the air from Balboa, Canal Zone

I was persueded to pursue contesting and chasing DX by KZ5PW(SK), Pete and KZ5JF, Jerry in the early 1970's.

Used KZ0DX only as a Canal Zone contest call. In 1979 all KZ5 holders were licensed as HP's under the TREATY, and I received HP1XRK effective October 1, 1979.

As a result of my agency being abolished due to the Panama Canal Treaties, we moved to Charlotte, NC after 18 years in the Canal Zone.

In 1993 I bought Comtek from the original owner, and added phasing and switching products over the years from the original four-square ACB series hybrid phasing units.

In 1998 I received K4SQR under the Vanity program.

In 2008 I decided it was time to retire, and we sold Comtek to DX Engineering, who continues to manufacture Comtek products in their OH facility.

My wife and I continue to enjoy retirement in Charlotte, where both of our sons reside.

73 Al 4L5A
Working...
X