Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

W3HMK/P - Lake Murray - Solar Eclipse

Ed, W3HMK will be active from Lake Murray, South Carolina 20 - 22 August 2017 as W3HMK/P.
    Information from Ed:
    My QTH will be 9,000 feet from the geographical centerline of totality of the eclipse. I've made up special QSL cards for the event. Look on DxSummit and other spotting websites for a chance to work me before, DURING, and after the eclipse! I'll be mostly on 40 and 20 meters working phone; but will be experimenting with others due to the potential propagation conditions.

I will be running a barefoot Icom IC-746PRO at 100w with several home brew antennas consisting of a long wire, 1/2 wave 40m dipole, and Multiband 135' OCFD. Weather permitting I will be operating outside as much as possible.

Some fun facts about Aug 21, 201 Total Solar Eclipse-

1. This will be the first total solar eclipse in the continental U.S. in 38 years. The last one occurred February 26, 1979. Unfortunately, not many people saw it because it clipped just five states in the Northwest and the weather for the most part was bleak. Before that one, you have to go back to March 7, 1970.

2. Solar eclipses occur between Saros cycles. Similar solar and lunar eclipses recur every 6,585.3 days (18 years, 11 days, 8 hours). Scientists call this length of time a Saros cycle. Two eclipses separated by one Saros cycle are similar. They occur at the same node, the Moon’s distance from Earth is nearly the same, and they happen at the same time of year.

3. Everyone in the continental U.S. will see at least a partial eclipse. In fact, if you have clear skies on eclipse day, the Moon will cover at least 48 percent of the Sun’s surface. And that’s from the tip on Maine.

4. Cool things are afoot before and after totality. Although the big payoff is the exact lineup of the Sun, the Moon, and your location, keep your eyes open during the partial phases that lead up to and follow it. As you view the beginning through a safe solar filter, the universe will set your mind at ease when you see the Moon take the first notch out of the Sun’s disk. Around the three-quarters mark, you’ll start to notice that shadows are getting sharper. The reason is that the Sun’s disk is shrinking, literally approaching a point, and a smaller light source produces better-defined shadows. At about 85 percent coverage, someone you’re with will see Venus 34° west-northwest of the Sun. If any trees live at your site, you may see their leaves act like pinhole cameras as hundreds of cress the Suns appear in their shadows.

5. The future is bright but long. The next total solar eclipse over the continental U.S. occurs April 8, 2024. It’s a good one, too. Depending on where you are (on the center line), the duration of totality lasts at least 3 minutes and 22 seconds on the east coast of Maine and stretches to 4 minutes and 27 seconds in southwestern Texas. After that eclipse, it’s a 20-year wait until August 23, 2044 (and, similar to the 1979 event, that one is visible only in Montana and North Dakota). Total solar eclipses follow in 2045 and 2078.

QSL via home call direct.
    Ads for direct QSL:
    Edward W Hartzel, PO Box 181, Horsham, PA, 19044, USA.
    W3HMK/P Lake Murray Solar Eclipse

Lake Murray. Author - Yoli R..
    73 Al 4L5A
Working...
X