Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

ZS1/KY8D - Simons Town - South Africa

Gan, KY8D will be active as ZS1/KY8D from Simons Town, South Africa.
    He will operate on HF Bands.
    QSL via home call direct.
    Ads for direct QSL:
    GAN STARLING, 5721 160th Ave, West Olive, MI, 49460-9151, USA.
    Information from his qrz page:
    Not a DX-pedition. Just a regular vacation. Visiting Simon's Town and surrounding area mainly so as my wife can fulfill her life-long dream of seeing a Great White Shark in the wild.

But so as not to suffer withdrawl from CW for so long, I have built a QRP Labs model QCX+, 5W rig for 30m. That plus also the matching 50W amp. My key will be an SKCC cootie, with Chinese K4 as backup.

In addition, I have homebrewed a FRI-Match antenna tuner built up from parts got on EBay.

For power I'm bringing firstly a DIN rail supplied with Phoenix Contact modules set to 12.8V and 19.2V, these with capacities of 4A and 5A respectively. Like so in order to match my altnerate source, a trio of 6.4V, 6AH LiFePO4 batteries in series.

And lastly, as a precaution, a 40x40x10mm 12VDC fan to cool the fins of the amp since once before I managed to blow the IRF-510 finals...and won't this time have opportunity to make repairs. Which shouldn't prove needful, since last time I modified the case with rectangular cut-outs so as to mount the IRF-510s to their heat sinks directly (not through the case). Fingers crossed.

I'll be on the air from time to time, mainly of evenings, CW only, just on the 30m band, with a dipole antenna and 45W. No set schedule. I'll update this page with photos and such upon my return. Depending upon the number and quality of contacts, I may or may not commission special QSL cards.

And by quality contacts, I refer to duration and content. No hit and runs. No hello/goodbye. If a pile-up develops, I'll QSY and wait to answer somebody else's CQ.

No eQSLs will be filed. LoTW will, however, see an upload eventually. Real and actual QSL cards will be mailed. Maybe just my regular ones with special notation. Possibly, though, I might just commision a special design.

Thank you for visiting,

Gan Starling, KY8D

ZS1/KY8D Simons Town, South Africa

Simons Town, South Africa. Author - Terry White.
    73 Al 4L5A
Working...
X