X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

Rules changes - CQ WW WPX SSB and CW Contests 2021

Information from Bud Trench, AA3B.
    QSO alerting systems will now be permitted in all CQ WW WPX SSB and CW Single Operator categories, except the Single Operator Classic Overlay categories. This change also results in elimination of the requirement for audio recordings. The drivers for combining the Single Op Assisted and Unassisted categories include:

The Single Operator Classic Overlay categories will continue to prohibit the use of QSO alerting systems and should be considered by participants preferring to be unassisted. Also, the maximum operating time for Single Operator Classic Overlay participants has been reduced from 36 to 24 hours.
    Further, the Multi-Operator Single Transmitter High and Low Power Classic Overlay categories have been removed from the rules.

CQ WW WPX Contests Rules changes
    73 Al 4L5A
  •  

Thats something what I not expect to hear really.
    I cant understand why CQ WW CC killing most popular categories?
    First SOAB is deleted and replaced by SOAB SO2R Category and now can be SO3R ......., now that category deleted also and become Single Operator Assisted.
    Why CC need to always push most popular category to the different direction?
    I think answer is simple because its most popular category and if not such changes there will be just few participants in SO2R etc.
    I think thats all very sad :-(
    73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

Message from my friend Jim, N6TJ
      Bud, with all due respect, why would one operate the hours in the contest that don't count? To plan so would undoubtedly alter one's strategies for the counting hours. And sure, but with your new rules, to be competitive in the 36 hours version, you need to operate with assistance, i.e., have someone help copy the calls.

For those single operators who want to make a DXpedition, and to be competitive in your 36 hours version, they need a solid internet. It's often hard enough just putting the competitive "radio" station together on a far off island, and now we're supposed to worry about internet connections, speeds, reliability, COSTS, etc. And this add-on effort, of course, has nothing to do with amateur radio, per se, nor does it demonstrate the skills that our contests are supposed to measure.

Who came up with this nauseous term "QSO alerting assistance"? Just what does that mean, anyway? Since when did we ever need assistance and alerts that QSOs occurred? At least man up and call it what it is: "call sign copying assistance"

. The contesting champions from years past, KH6IJ, W4KFC, W9IOP, W6CUF and others are surely rolling over in their graves.

Bud, I appreciate your convictions in standing by these changes, and I'm guessing that you didn't make these decisions on your own. But wouldn't it have been fair to propose these changes to your WPX entrants and contesters who have lived and demonstrated a serious understanding of the hobby and solicit their thoughts and ideas before making such draconian changes?

I doubt if it will change your opinions and rules, but for me, if they stand as is, I will have operated my last CQ WPX.
      Good Luck and 73,

Jim Neiger N6TJ
      73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

I agree with Jim, N6TJ and I also dont think its just Bud decision I think CC is testing how that decision will be accepted and in near future we will see same rules in CQ WW Contest.
        I also dont think that offer from many contesters to allow 36 hour in Classic category will be accepted and reason of that is simple.
        Today many solo DX Pedition are out of the game because they cant compete with SO2/3R etc and now internet added.
        If they will have Classic category 36 hours in WPX that will be most popular Category and thats not what they want.
        Sorry that some people not see yet what problem will appear when that rules will become effective.
        73 Al 4L5A

Comment

Working...
        X