X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

Spoofing attack on the spotting networks - CQ WW Contests

All,

As you know, there was an intentional spoofing attack on the spotting networks during last year's CQ WW contests. Over the course of the past few months, I've been keeping you up-to-date with our investigation.

As of this moment, I am pleased to report that we have identified the individual behind this attack. Shortly after the contests, several sysops were able to report that the IP associated with the spots was located in Italy. However, that IP was not the spotter's native location, but rather simply his Internet host. We were subsequently able to further identify the user's specific PTR record, which was associated with the company that he manages. A smoking gun, as is often said.

Contesting has always been a sport that requires honor and mutual respect among its participants. It is always disappointing when there is an example of that trust being broken.

While I'm not going to publicly identify this individual for a number of good reasons, he is located in Italy. Given that a number of local Italian contesters are aware of his identity, I suggest that local peer pressure is the most appropriate course of action.

Thanks to all who supported this investigation -- it was truly a team effort. Hopefully, these events are now behind us.

73, John, K1AR

CQ WW Contest Director
    73 Al 4L5A
Working...
X