• Show
Clear All

• 4L5A
    commented on Guest's reply
    Great picture Saki
    Really explain lot

Guest replied
    Hello Al,

many thanks for this great thread. Just stumbled over it and I am deeply impressed about the information and the media provided. Thanks also for the URL to windy.com

I looked the Garmin GPS track of the Betanzos vessel. Many days I asked myself and wondered why vessel Betanzos did have such a huge drift in the path. I copied the GPS way path and overlaid it into the windy.com image. Look at this, I think the picture is self-explanatory

3Y0Z Bouvet Island Wind map

Just after they passed the strong winds, they turned to left as the resistance were much weaker. This is more secure for the vessel and also saves fuel.

I wish all the best to the whole 3Y0Z team and of course to the Betanzos crew with all the experienced guys. May god bless you, GOOD LUCK and GOOD DX!
    Last edited by DD5XX; 02-01-2018, 01:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 4L5A
    replied
    Wind is still very strong
    You can monitor it
    https://www.windy.com/-54.422/3.357?...813,9,m:8saggK

Leave a comment:

• 4L5A
    replied
    3Y0Z Bouvet Island News 08.00 GMT
    Weather is still bad and team cant land waiting for better wx.

Leave a comment:

• 4L5A
    replied
    3Y0Z News. January 31, 2018, 0830 UTC: Bouvet Island came into view at about 0600 UTC today. We dropped anchor at 0810 UTC in approximately 25 meters of water off the east side of the island between Kapp Meteor and Swarthamaren.

The temperature is 2 degrees Centigrade. Thirty five knot winds are blowing out of the northeast with a driving rain. Visibility and ceiling are estimated at 1 mile and 500 feet, respectively.

We are poised and ready when our weather window arrives. Our first strike team, selecting and securing a site, will be EY8MM, KØIR and Alejo Contreras (Chilean Antarctic explorer, guide and mountaineer).

Ralph, KØIR
    3Y0Z Bouvet Island DX Pedition Arrive

With a dream that began 10 years ago and after 3 years of intense planning and preparation 3YØZ team leader Ralph Fedor, KØIR sights Bouvet Island at approximately 0600 UTC on January 31, 2018.

Hal, W8HC

Leave a comment:

• 4L5A
    replied
    3Y0Z Bouvet DX Pedition News 31 January 2018 08.12 GMT
    Ship anchored. Wheather not good for helicopters. Raining.

Bouvet Island first view

3Y0Z Bouvet Island DX Pedition First View

Bouvet Island. First View. Author - Nodir Tursun Zade EY8MM.

Leave a comment:

• 4L5A
    replied
    3Y0Z News 31 January 2018 06.00 UTC
    As of 0600Z today the MV Betanzos was about 4 miles off shore from Bouvet Island. Remember once they arrive it will probably take a day or so for them to set up. of 0600Z today the MV Betanzos was about 4 miles off shore from Bouvet Island. Remember once they arrive it will probably take a day or so for them to set up.

Leave a comment:

• 4L5A
    replied
    3Y0Z News 2200 UTC January 30, 2018

We are less than 100 miles from Bouvet in moderate seas and visibility of about 100 meters. Scattered icebergs remain on radar.

Today, we removed most of the contents of our sea containers, re-sorted and staged it, and then put it all back in the containers, again, before a light rain started.

We hope to be anchored shortly after daybreak tomorrow, and will anxiously await a weather window that will allow us to start our landing operation. We are ready whenever Mother Nature gives us the green light.

Ralph, K0IR

Leave a comment:

• 4L5A
    replied
    3Y0Z Bouvet Island DX Pedition News January 30, 2018, 1130 UTC: Our current position is 54 degrees 27 minutes South; 1 degree 68 minutes West. The outside temperature is 4 degrees C with 10 knot northwest winds. The sea is gently rolling with scattered icebergs visible on radar. Visibility is approximately 1/4 mile in moderate fog. We are roughly 20 hours from Bouvet.

Today, we will have our final team meeting and discuss safety, loading sequences, camp development and layout, infrastructure on island vs. the number of people on the island, emergency contingencies and team assignments.

The local weather forecast for Bouvet is questionable for a landing to occur tomorrow. Hopefully, we can at least establish an anchorage, and be fully prepared to commence our operation at the first weather window.
    73 – Ralph – KØIR

Leave a comment:

• 4L5A
    replied
    3Y0Z Bouvet News 05.00Z
    They expect to arrive to the island in about 25 hours.
    They hope weather will allow them to land easily.
    They expect to have better internet access from Bouvet using directional antenna.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X