X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

KC4/N4IFD - Antarctica

Well it's finally here!
    We fly to Ushuaia, Argentina on 2/14 for 12 days!!!
    I got firm permission from Viking Cruises to bring my equipment, they will inspect and do all they can to accommodate my needs.
    I modified an Alpha Antenna tripod to fit my MPAS-2.0 vertical so I can set up quickly on snow, ice or rocky surfaces without making any holes in the ground. It is close I may put the end of one of my 4 radials in the cold salt water...
    Not sure of the islands so far, but it does not seem to include and 'bases' as such so I guess
    I'll be KC4/N4IFD !
    Got a good cell phone app, that works where there is NO cellular to give me the grid square.
    Only plan to do FT8 as it is 'auto logging' saving me using my cold hands for anything else.
    If you are interested I can certainly email you a few hours before I will be operating... and put your call in JT Alert so it gets my attention!
    Hope to do some thorough capacity checking this weekend for WFD!
    Thanks so much for your help!!
    On Thursday, November 19, 2020, 11:19:50 AM EST, Bill Erhardt wrote:
    Hi Michael, Bill Erhardt K7MT Antarctica QSL Manager for US Antarctica Ham Stations.
    Pretty cool that your going to pay a visit to Antarctica and set up your ham radio.
    For US bases all you need to do is your call portable KC4.
    if you plan on operating at any other flagged base, check to make sure we have reciprocal agreement with that country.
    If we do you can use your call slant or portable their prefix.
    If we do not have reciprocal, you need to get permission to operate.
    ARRL has all the information and it takes a while so I would do it right away..
    Let me know when you will be operating and I will listen up for you from Montana !!!!
    Bill Erhardt K7MT
    Information received from Bill, K7MT.

KC4/N4IFD Antarctica

Antarctica. Author - Auksinis Kardas.
    73 Al 4L5A
Working...
X