Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4L5A
    replied
    V62P from Polap Atoll, Micronesia on 24896.5 now.

Leave a comment:

• 4L5A
    replied
    VE3LYC is start his activity as V63P from Polap Atoll, Micronesia.

Leave a comment:

• 4L5A
    replied
    V62S from Satawal Atoll, Micronesia on 21260 now.

Leave a comment:

• 4L5A
    replied
    V62S News 21 November 2023
    The percentage of contacts in the log is low for NA. As such, I have tried my best to check almost every forecasted propagation window with that region on 12, 15, 17, 20, and 30 m. Unfortunately, my attempts have been a humpered by the fact that I fell sick with some stomach bug. Had no appetite and only drank water or the last couple of days. I felt a little better today, but still not even close to my normal energy levels. In any case, as I already mentioned in an earlier message on the IOTA Forum that I will check last night the propagation on 30m, from time to time. I have done it, and after 30 min periods of CQing, I only managed to log one or two JA and UA stations at a time. I won’t do that again. 30 m is a right-off here at this time on the year and solar cycle - sorry.

Propagation on 20 m was generally good during my stay, with nice openings into EU. However, propagation to NA on 20 m was a drag. It only opened one night, when thanks to the cooperation of (most of the) EU stations I was able to log a good chunk of NA stations. There was a substantial difference in the signal strengths between EU and NA at the time, and without the EU’s help most if not all of the NA stations would not have made it into the log.

The propagation windows to NA are virtually similar on different bands, which is why I had to decide which band to operate on. I picked up 17 m because signals were clearly stronger than on the other bands, i.e., 12 and 15 m. Propagation to EU has been best on 17 m, but also on 20 m. I received various requests and advice from different chasers. Unfortunately, I’m using just a vertical with 300-400 W. I’m sure that some of you could have done a better job, but I really tried my very best to give as many people as possible a chance at logging this new IOTA. As it usually happens, this also gave those who wanted to contact this particular V6 station on every band and mode a chance to do that. It was not how I envisioned this mission, but I am not going to challenge human nature.

The boat hasn’t left Weno as scheduled, but one day later. As such, it is expected to arrive here on Thursday, Nov 23. I have specifically requested a minimum of 4 operating days from Puluwat, but will see what happens in the end. Please refrain from making multiple contacts with V62P, so that more hams can have a chance at logging the rare OC-155. All this change of schedule has a pretty negative effect on me, amplified by the fact that I didn’t feel well for the past couple of days. I realize that I have to be relaxed and wait for the boat to follow its path, but it is certainly easier said than done.

My laptop died on me several days ago. As such, I'm taking the log on paper now! This is not a big issue but adds another wrinkle to everything else. Locals are very nice, and over the last couple of days they decided to leave me being the only occupant of the open hut next to the beach. One of them comes and sleeps in at night, but that's pretty much it. They also seem to have understood me turning them down on the tuba, that alcoholic beverage from fermented coconut water.

Leave a comment:

• 4L5A
    replied
    V62S Satawall Atoll News 18 November 2023
    After four full days of operation, the log counts 4000 QSOs, fairly equally shared between SSB and CW. My operating times were very accurately chosen, most definitely not erratic, which is how they were recently described on the IOTA Forum. My eating, rest and sleep schedule was entirely based on the propagation forecast, as I tried my best to be active during all potential openings to Europe and North America on 12, 15, 17, and 20 m that didn’t overlap - in which case I had to decide on one or another band and I saw fit, after tests. Sometimes, the propagation ended up being great, other times just fair, and I also had my share of lows too.

The vertical antenna is placed right on the beach and the equipment is a small, nearby hut, used by the local men to congregate each evening and drink tuba, which is fermented coconut water. The Chief allowed me to settle there, which is why I also sleep there at night, on one of the benches. The locals, however, continue to assemble there for hours, and they usually produce a fairly high level of noise. However, that is nothing compared to the systematic noise generated by pileup chasers, who don’t care what the operator does, and instead just keep transmitting their callsigns endlessly. They shold know better, but it has become part of the hobby, hi. FYI, I never operated with less than 300 W. On a positive note, the Japanese hams have been very cooperative and allowed to me to focus on Europe and/or North America when I requested so. In return, I put the time and gave them a chance on the respective bands in due course.

The island has a solar power system, but the battery packs are ancient and don’t hold. As such, it can only be used during daylight, on sunny days, starting almost a couple of hours after sunrise and until at least one hour before sunset. However, after the power unexpectedly dropped on my a couple of times, I decided to run exclusively on the generator in order to avoid potential equipment failure. There is a lot more to say, but I’m going to leave it for some other time.

The boat arrangement has obviously changed since I was dropped off (I'm sure that you didn't miss the sarcasm). According to the "latest", I will be picked up on Wed Nov 22 my time, and so I will likely operate until 23:30 UTC on Nov 21. Then, I will be taken to Puluwat, where I will only be allowed to remain for a maximum of 3 full. I am very upset by this significant schedule change, primarily because after I will be in Puluwat for 3 days, I will have to stay on the boat as it goes to a few other islands. This will make me return to Weno on... Dec 2! I’m trying to address a number os issues starting with how can I obtain a visa for the additional days, since my last day to be in FSM had to be Nov 26. Once this issue can be addressed, I will have to re-book the plane tickets, but before I do that I also need to confirm with the boat operators the very exact time I will arrive in Weno - because it has significantly changed in less than a week.

Meanwhile, I cntinue to argue with the boat operators for more time on Puluwat, as well as to remain there while they are doing the charter for the utility company crew. However, I don’t know if there is any chance for them to accept my poposal. If they leave me on Puluwat, they will have to return there from some considerable distance away in order to pick me up before finaly returning to Weno. Instead, they want a compromise, which requires the utility corporation team to stay with me on Puluwat for three days, and then me to join them as they continue their progress to Weno, never needing to return before arriving there.

Since I will be operating from Satawal for a total of 8 days, I hope that everyone interested in OC-299, as well as those who took advantage of this operation to collect new bands by contacting V62S, will have been able to do it. Consequently, I would very much like to ask all chasers who already have OC-155 confirmed to consider refraining from contacting V62P in order to give those who still need it a chance at logging it. Additionally, I would also like to ask those who do need OC-155 to refrain from making multiple contacts. Note that I am not going to reinforce this in any way. My experience with V62S indicates that I must change bands and modes in order to give the most of you a chance at contacting OC-155. This is why I’m leaving this entirely at the chasers' discretion. I will try all possible openings, hopefully one will work for you. Thank you, in advance, for your kind understanding and consideration.

Leave a comment:

• 4L5A
    replied
    V62S from Satawal Atoll on 24940 now.

Leave a comment:

• 4L5A
    replied
    V62S from Satawal Atoll on 14040 now.

Leave a comment:

• 4L5A
    replied
    V62S from Satawal Atoll on 21040 now.

Leave a comment:

• 4L5A
    replied

V62P V62S News 9 November 2023.
    Regretfully, we didn’t leave last evening as originally scheduled. Instead, the captain decided to postpone the departure for one day in order to give time to a low pressure front moving slowing towards the western islands of Chuuk, exactly in the direction we will be heading, to advance. It has been raining here for two full days, and he was concerned that the ocean will be a bit too too stormy. After sailing to Bouvet, it was difficult to accept his verdict, but… it’s a different boat, different crew, different conditions all together, and ultimately he is in command.

There are passengers and cargo that need to be dropped at 5 islands before he will head straight to Satawal. Arrival at each island must be done during daytime, in order to be able to download there everything needed. This is why the voyage will take quite a while. He told me that, to be on the safe side, I should count on arriving to Satawal on Nov 14. I told him that this is far too late for me and asked him to do some “miracle” to reach that island sooner. He promised that he will try his best to arrive by Nov 13, but your guess is just as good as mine.

The plan is to stay on Satawal for 6 full days. I will overnight at the house of the Chief’s son, whom the captain told me that he knows very well. Then, 4 full days on Puluwat. Fingers crossed!

I mentioned in an earlier post the two large rooms with hardwood floors that passengers will sleep on. Well, I slept last night on the boat, but I got a bunk! That not only offers more privacy, but I manage to make it pretty comfortable. The crew gave me a carpet made of woven palm leaves, which I folded in three. On top of it I put a bed sheet, folded in four, which I borrowed from the hotel along with a pillow. Finally, on top of that I put a nice blanket, folded in two, borrowed from Mark. This is a 90 ft power boat and the noise of the diesel engines, even running idle, is pretty loud, but I was able to sleep. The bunk is in a passing through cabin, which does have an air conditioning unit. The unit functions, but there is no freon in it, which is why it actually operates as a fan, hi.

Leave a comment:

• 4L5A
    replied
    V62P V62S News 8 November 2023
    North Star is scheduled to depart at 5 pm. I visited it yesterday and beside captain Mariano there will be 7 crew members. The boat is about 30-40 m long, I will find out more about its specs from the captain once we leave. It is very basic for passengers, in that it has two fully covered large areas in the back, one at the deck level and one below. This is where the passengers will sleep, on hardwood floors, but have some chairs in front where they can sit down during the voyage. Passengers are supposed to bring something to sleep on, like a mat (locals used carpets made of palm-leaves), as well as a pillow and a blanket. Worth noting, both areas have air conditioning, but also some small windows which can be open if needed. It is very warm here and humid, but it will be cool on the ocean, particularly consider that the air conditioning will be running. There is also an open area

Mark said that he will lend me a pillow and a blanket, but we still need to find some sort of a mat. I looked for one yesterday, in the stores, but without success. I’ll try again today. think that with something like a palm leaf carpet I’ll pretty much laying on hardwood floors, not very good. Passengers are supposed to bring their own meals, prepared at home, but I will eat with the captain and his crew, which will be doing some cooking. The boat cannot dock at any island, since there are no entries large enough for it. Instead, the locals need to come to the boat with motor canoes and carry everything to the shore.

I am not allowed to bring gas canisters on board. The gas will be transported in a large 200 L metal drum, and I’ll take 100 L with me. When we arrive at my destination, the locals will bring empty drums and siphon the gas in them with a pump. I was told that it is routine for them, so… will see how it goes. It rained yesterday from 6:30 am to 6:30 pm, 12 hours non stop. It was mostly pouring, and so I hadn’t been able to transport anything to the boat yet, since I didn’t want everything to get soaked and stored on the boat like that. I purchased some heavy duty plastic bags to protect each suitcase and each box I have for the locals.

Once I depart Weno, I was clearly told that I won’t have internet anywhere, on any island. The only communication between Weno and the islands is via SAT phone at the admin office. I am not fully convinced that this is correct, but I have been warned, and so I am prepared for it. While on the boat, the captain has HF communication with Weno and SAT phone as well, for emergency.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X