Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

RI0Q - Bolshoi Begichev Island - IOTA AS 152

RI0Q Team receive license and will be active from IOTA AS - 152 in 2021.
    License valid until 1 May 2021.
    Islands permitted for activity - Bolshoi Begichev Island, Malyi Begichev Island, Preobrazheniya Island.
    More information later.

RI0Q Bolshoi Begichev Island

Bolshoi Begichev Island. From nat-geo.ru
    73 Al 4L5A
  •  

Team - UA9KDF, RW0BG, UA0BA, RT9K, UA9LDD.
    73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

Information about Nikifor Begichev.

Biography:
      Born in the city of Tsarev of the Astrakhan province, came from Volga fishermen.

In 1895 he was called up for military service in the navy.

In 1897-1900 he served on a training sailing vessel as a sailor and boatswain in the Atlantic Ocean, went three times from Kronstadt to Antilles.

As a boatswain, he participated in the high-latitude expedition of E.V. Toll on the sailing-motor schooner “Zarya” to study the New Siberian Islands (1900-1902). The expedition ended with death of Baron Toll and three of his companions in the sled-kayak party, but Begichev and the main part of the expedition returned to the mainland.

In 1903, Begichev participated in the search for Toll. A sled boat expedition led by Lieutenant A.V. Kolchak on ten sledges and a whaleboat reached Bennett Island (one of the De Long Islands). When crossing the sea ice, Begichev saved his commander's life: “...I walked ahead, saw a crack ahead, jumped over it with a run. Kolchak also ran up and jumped, but hit right in the middle of a crack and disappeared under the water. I rushed to him, but he was not visible. Then his windbreaker appeared, I grabbed it by it and Biography:
      Born in the city of Tsarev of the Astrakhan province, came from Volga fishermen.

In 1895 he was called up for military service in the navy.

In the years 1897-1900 he served on a training sailing vessel as a sailor and boatswain in the Atlantic Ocean, went three times from Kronstadt to the Antilles.

As a boatswain, he participated in the high-latitude expedition of E.V. Toll on the sailing-motor schooner Zarya to study the New Siberian Islands (1900-1902). The expedition ended in the death of Baron Toll and three of his companions in the sled-kayak party, but Begichev and the main part of the expedition returned to the mainland.

In 1903, Begichev participated in the search for Toll. A sled boat expedition led by Lieutenant A.V. Kolchak on ten sledges and a whaleboat reached Bennett Island (one of the De Long Islands). When crossing the sea ice, Begichev saved his commander's life: I walked ahead, saw a crack ahead, jumped over it with a run. Kolchak also ran up and jumped, but hit right in the middle of the crack and disappeared under the water. I rushed to him, but he was not visible. Then his shirt appeared, I grabbed him by it and pulled onto the ice ... But that was not enough - the ice broke under him again, and he completely plunged into the water beginning to sink. I quickly grabbed his head, pulled barely alive on the ice and carefully moved ... to the shore. He laid on the stones and began to call Inkov, who was standing near the crack shouting: "Drowned, drowned!" - completely confused. I shouted him: “Stop yelling, come to me!” . We took off Kolchak’s boots and all the clothes. Then I took off my jaeger lingerie and began to put it on Kolchak. It turned out he was still alive. I lit a pipe and put into his mouth.

He came to himself. I began to tell him - maybe he and Inkov will go back to the tent, and I will go alone.

But he said: "I won’t leave you alone, I will go with you too." I walked on the rocks, there were steep climbs and descents.

He completely warmed up and thanked me, saying - “I will never forget this incident in my life” .. - In 1904, during the Russian-Japanese war, he participated in the defense of Port Arthur on the destroyer “Silent” as a boatswain. He was interned with the whole team to Qingdao, where in August 1904 the destroyer broke through the Japanese blockade. He was awarded the St. George Cross for excellent actions in an emergency. After the war he returned to Tsarev, got married, but in the summer of 1906 went to live to the north again, to the area of lower reaches of Yenisei, where he was engaged in fur trade, and explored the Taimyr Peninsula.

In 1908, at the mouth of the Khatanga and Anabar rivers that flow into the Laptev Sea, he discovered two islands, later named after him - Bolshoi Begichev and Malyi Begichev.

In 1915, he headed the mail delivery and deer evacuation of some sailors from the barque “Eclipse”, sent to search the missing expeditions of Brusilov and Rusanov, and then from the icebreaking ships “Taimyr” and “Vaigach” that got stuck in the ice on the northwestern coast of Taimyr. A route of a caravan of about 500 deer ran through unexplored territory, previously not visited by European travelers.

In 1916 he settled in Dudinka.

In 1921, he participated in the Soviet-Norwegian expedition to search for two members of the 1918-1920 Royal Amundsen expedition on the schooner “Mod” which disappeared in Taimyr and discovered the remains of one of them.

In 1922, with geologist N.N. Urvantsev’s expedition, he went down the river Pyasin in a boat and on the shore of Dikson Island found the skeleton of another Amundsen companion. In spring of 1926, Begichev, heading the artel of hunters, went to the tundra. For a long time there was no news from the group, and it was only in the summer of 1927 that the returning hunters told that he died of scurvy in the winter house near the Pyasina River.

Nikifor Begichev Monument

Nikifor Begichev
      73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

RI0Q News 20 September 2020
        Gentlemen, all our Arctic expeditions are very expensive. All the time, before each expedition, we always come up with something new and special to make your support of us more interesting and attractive. In this expedition we want to introduce a special QSL called “fast”. All “fast” QSLs will be sent out from the very first functioning post office on our way back. Most likely it will be in Khatanga settlement (UA0A). "Fast" QSL is a special designed postcard with a real 1987 year photograph of Preobrazheniya polar meteorological station (18 km from Bolshoy Begichev island) stamped by two stamps. The first one is the original 1987 year stamp found at Preobrazheniya station (closed in 1990 and abandoned). The second is a modern copy of this stamp made for our 2021 expedition. The cost of a QSL is $ 30. It can be paid via PayPal. Links are at www.qrz.com/db/ri0q

Those who wish to receive this exclusive card must order it prior to the expedition start.

All others will receive traditional confirmation (OQRS, LoTW, ClubLog). IOTA credit via Сlublog will be opened in 6 months after the end of the expedition.
        73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

One day left before the start of the RI0Q snowmobile DXpedition to the island of Bolshoy Begichev IOTA AS-152. On the morning of March 4, the four of us plan to leave the village of Tazovsky and walk to Dudinka. In Dudinka we will meet our friends. According to the navigator, the RI0Q team will have to walk 2000 km to the island and the same amount back.
          You can follow us at the link
          You can write small messages to us by e-mail:
          79541073829@myiridium.net

RI0Q Bolshoy Begichev Island News 3 March 2021
          73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

RI0Q Bolshoi Begichev Island, IOTA AS - 152 News 6 March 2021.
            They expecting to be in Norilsk, 7 March 2021.

RI0Q Bolshoy Begichev Island News 6 March 2021 Image 1

RI0Q Bolshoy Begichev Island News 6 March 2021 Image 2

RI0Q Bolshoy Begichev Island News 6 March 2021 Image 3
            73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

RI0Q Bolshoi Begichev Island, IOTA AS - 152 News 8 March 2021.
              Team is in Norilsk now.

RI0Q Boslhoy Begichev Island News 8 March 2021

73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

RI0Q Bolshoi Begichev Island News 20 March 2021.
                Team land on Bolshoi Begichev Island.
                Now installing antennas.
                Will start activity soon.
                73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

RI0Q Bolshoi Begichev Island.
                  Team is start assembly antennas. Its - 35C there.
                  One of the generator broken and they going to repair it today.
                  They planning to have Yagi and vertical today.
                  73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

RI0Q Bolshoi Begichev Island News 22 March 2021.
                    Team start activity. They on 14020 now.
                    73 Al 4L5A

Comment

Working...
                    X