Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

KL7FBI - Shemya Island - Alaska

KL7FBI. Fred Anderson, KB4DMQ inform dxnews.com that he will be active as KL7FBI from Shemya Island, IOTA NA - 037, Alaska.
    He will operate on HF Bands.
    QSL via AA0NN.
    Ads for direct QSL:
    JOHN WOLFE, 4023 N ALDERNEY CIRCLE, WASILLA, AK, 99654, USA.
    Information from Fred:
    Just to let you know I will be traveling out to Shemya Island AK and have been given permission to bring my radio equipment and operate as KL7FBI.
    73s Fred, KB4DMW.
    Information from KL7FBI qrz page:
    KL7FBI is the callsign for an Amateur Radio Club that used to be active at Shemya Air Force Base, Alaska. Shemya Air Force Base was renamed Eareckson Air Force Station in the early 90's. Shemya is the second island from the end of the Aleutian chain, 40 miles from Attu Island and about 1500 miles SW of Anchorage. It is a small place, only 2x4 miles in size. When I found out that I was going to Shemya island I of course told my friends, who advised me to look up the club trustee.

The previous trustee was a contractor who worked for Rayethon Corporation, and had left the island due to an injury and was back on the east coast. When contacted he was happy to transfer KL7FBI over to me. I was on Shemya Island for about 14 months until the base's deactivation in April, 1995, and quite active on HF on several modes while there. A couple of us even had a 146.94 repeater! It was better than the Air Force-owned VHF repeaters on the island, with the best coverage. Location is everything, hi!

There's a skeleton crew of contractors on the island now, but no active hams at this time. Occasionally someone from Anchorage, manages to get out there and borrows the callsign to make a few contacts, so if you get an opportunity to work IOTA NA-37 (Shemya) do it. It's becoming rare DX! Looking forward to the day when I can return and make a few contacts myself from out there. If anyone is going out to the island for employment, contact me and I'll be happy to transfer the license over to you. If not, I'll just continue to ensure it's renewed and preserved.
    73 AA0NN.

KL7FBI Shemya Island, Alaska
    73 Al 4L5A
  •  

Gentlemen,

I am sending this message to several DX Bulletins at the same time. Please feel free to publish all or any part of the information below, as you see fit.

I have been in contact with Fred, KL7FBI, and with his permission I would like to provide the following update. Fred arrived on Shemya on May 14, and so far had a very busy work schedule. There is no cell phone coverage on the island, and he only has access to email communication at work. He installed an Inverted V and during the last week operated with 100W, always on 14,260 kHz, for very short periods of time after work, testing the propagation. Nevertheless, he is scheduled to leave the island on July 10 and during the remaining period of time will try to be more active.

Please note that he leaves work daily at 3 UTC, not only during the weekdays, but often during the weekend as well. As such, he intends to show up on 14,260 kHz (he operates only SSB) after 4 UTC, calling CQ IOTA. Note that I copied him on the East Coast of NA at 5 UTC with S3 (SFI=76, K=1), well above the noise, using a 3-el beam at 20 m above the ground. If a pile-up forms, he will announce that will operate split. In case that he doesn’t need to go to work during the weekend, he will try to show up at different times, but always on the above QRG.

I wish all those who need NA-037 good luck!

Cheers,
    Cezar, VE3LYC
    73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

Fred, KL7FBI will be active from Shemya Island until 14 July 2021.
      73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

A short update from Fred, KL7FBI. He has been on the air during each of the days of this last week, checking the propagation numerous times between approximately 2 and 6 UTC. Unfortunately, the propagation gods haven’t been good to him and the IOTA chasers, and he was only able to contact one JA stations during several days. He will continue this routine over the next three days. He will pack his equipment on Tue after 6 UTC, which corresponds to his Mon 9pm local time.

GL,
        Cezar, VE3LYC
        73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

Fred (KB4DMQ), who recently operated from Shemya Island, NA-037, informs us that he was called back there on an emergency fill following the passing of one of their technicians. As such, Fred will travel to Shemya on September 8, expecting to remain there for two full months. He intends to operate again as KL7FBI, this time on 20 and 40m SSB
          73 Al 4L5A

Comment

Working...
          X