Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

W5NA - Joseph Pringle - Satsuma - Alabama - USA

W5NA, Joseph R. Pringle from Satsuma. Alabama, USA passed away 8 July 2019.
    He was born in 1932.
    He was active DXer and his former calls W5ZR, W5RMC, W5NWB, K4KAY.
    Information from his qrz page:
    I got interested in ham radio because... it was very fascinating and there were very few hams in my home state in 1947 when I was licensed. Good hobby for a young teenager. Early on I met one of my longtime ham friends, W0EXD, who later became W5AA (now a SK) and since visiting each other as teen agers in Mississippi and Colorado on alternate years, we QSOed each other over the years from various places and continued to communicate frequently with each other until his death.

My favorite thing to do in ham radio is. DXing. I enjoy chasing weak signal DX preferably on CW but also use SSB, RTTY an PSK31. Currently working on getting 100 Countries confirmed on PSK31. Have 95 worked and confirmed. Have DXCC Mixed Credits for 359 DXCC entities/Countries worked and on the DXCC Honor Roll (Mixed).

My equipment consists of...Ten-Tec ORION II, Henry 3K-A, QRO HF2500DX, Viking MB-VA tuner, Ten-Tec 238B tuner, Collins 32S3, 75S3C,Barker & Williamson B&W 5100B, B&W 51SB-B,RME DB23 Pre Selector, Have a Tennadyne T-10 but do not have it or my Rohn 45G Tower up since moving from Mississippi..

During my professional/working career I was an Engineer with Philco-Ford Corporation for 19 3/4 years. During this time I had assignments at Ft Bliss, Texas, Redstone Arsenal/Army Ballistic Missile Agency at Huntsville, Al ,Brookley AFB in Mobile, Al and NASA-Mission Control-Houston, Texas as a Flight Controller on the GEMINI and APOLLO Space Program..

After leaving Philco-Ford in 1974 I managed a Manufacturing Plant owned by Wagner Electric Corporation at Lumberton, MS that produced Electrical Distribution Transformers for Power/Utility Companies to deliver power to customers.When the Plant was sold to another Corporation, I was transferred by Wagner Electric Corporation to to Florence, KY and was Manager of Plant Engineering for their facility that manufactured Braking Systems for large 18 wheelers, and then later was over the Technical Operations of the local Cable TV provider in Hattiesburg, MS until my retirement.
    I am or have been a member of the following ham radio clubs... Hattiesburg Amateur Radio Club and formerly one of the early members of the Texas DX Society (Member #15) when I worked as a Flight Controller at NASA Mission Control, the 599DX Association and the Mobile AL Amateur Radio Club serving as 2016 President.

I am most proud of the following accomplishments in ham radio... WAS (48 States) serial #2835 issued June 16, 1949 and DXCC Mixed with 359 confirmed and on the ARRL DXCC Mixed Honor Roll.

The funniest thing that ever happened to me on the air was... Shortly after obtaining my amateur license in 1947, I worked an Egyptian Amateur who advised me his name was David. When I received his QSL, my was I surprised. The card was from David Farouk (SK), King of Egypt.

The biggest pileup I ever heard or busted was: Compared to to days pileups this example is miniscule but my first exposure to many chasing the same DX station was when AC4YN and AC4RF in Tibet were active. Heard both numerous times along with those calling them but I never managed to work either one.

I would like to try the following new things in ham radio in the next 10 years... Working a P5 in North Korea..and a BS7 on Scarborough Reef. .I keep hoping!

When I'm not on the radio, you can normally find me... playing with my computer or visiting my Family here in the Satsuma/Saraland, AL area. Very active in Saraland United Methodist Church. Boy Scout Merit Badge Counsellor.

W5NA Joseph Pringle, Satsuma, Alabama, USA
    73 Al 4L5A
Working...
X