Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

G3JB - David Simmonds - Binbrook - Market Rasen - England

David Simmonds, G3JKB from Binbrook, Market Rasen, England, passed away 7 November 2019.
    Info from his qrz page:
    Gained license at age 16 while still at school - Hitchin Grammar School, Hitchin, Hertfordshire.

Member Baldock Radio Club, Baldock, Herts 1952-57

Member Verulam Amateur Radio Club, St Albans, Herts 1960 - 1976. Chairman 1970 - 1973

Volunteer for RSGB - Audio-Visual library for several years and 'managed' the RSGB trophies for two years. Invited to join RSGB HQ staff at Lambda House, Potters Bar, Herts and enjoyed a very interesting year with them in 1990 - 1991.

Joined RAOTA at Lincoln Rally in Autumn 2007. Currently (Spring 2010) serve as Senior Rally Manager and Publicity and Liaison Officer.

Main radio interests are:- Operating - predominantly cw: Construction - atu's, antennas, power supplies etc: refurbishing Heathkit SB101, HRO: building odd bits and pieces.

STATION

Details not included for security.

GENERAL

I've not been very active over the years due to to work and family committments, however I'm trying to make up for this now that I am enjoying retirement!

PERSONAL

Married 52 years (2010) to xyl Jacquie

6 children, 3 boys, 3 girls,

14 grandchildren

(Now you know why I wasn't very active on the air for many years!)

OTHER INTERESTS

Keep fit. Built my own gym where I train fairly regularly with weights, rowing machine etc.

School Old Boys Association. Served on and off committee for over 30 years, President in 2004.

Consuming good wine

Chess

Keeping up with, and enjoying, our growing family.

BUSINESS LIFE

Production and Development on valve computers with British Tablulating Machine Co,(precursor of ICT, ICL) and Field service 50's - late 60's

Addressograph Multigraph, early Optical scanners - Service, Marketing support late 60's through early 70's

High speed, high value, typesetters for Newspaper industry - mid 70's through early 80's - servicing. This included living in Holland for 2 years running the Typesetting sales and service organisation for a large Dutch Printing Agency near Amsterdam.

Set up my own European Agency for marketing/selling, support and service of early Page make-up terminals and lasersetters to newspapers throughout Europe - early to end 88's.

A year with RSGB at Lambda House, Potters Bar, at their invitation.

First try at retirement 91 - 92.....but badly missed the buzz of business!

Joined a failing printing company, became joint owner and built this, through acquisition, to become 3 separate companies making business forms and general stationery. These were eventually bought out by a large USA operation and I retired for good at the end of 2003.

HOME

I live among 5 acres of land surrounded by farmland and woods in the rural Lincolnshire Wolds about 9 miles (15km), as the crow flies, from the East Coast(North Sea). Quiet radio location, 2 miles from nearest small village. Rebuilt old farmhouse, our current home, from ground upwards during 90's through early 00's.

EDUCATION

GCE 8 subjects

Applied Physics to degree level

Marketing Diploma

Travelled extensively in Europe, the USA and Australia

73 Al 4L5A
Working...
X