Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

K2UR - George Miller - Fredericksburg - Indiana - USA

George A. Miller, Jr, K2UR from Fredericksburg, Indiana, USA, passed away, 4 August 2021.
    He born in 1938.
    Information from his qrz page:
    My Dad, George SR was licensed at age 15 as 3BBQ in 1922. He lived in Philadelphia, PA at that time.

He started my interest at a young age, by giving me a Hallicrafter S-38 Receiver on which I listened to the Ham bands.

When the FCC started the Novice class license He taught me the code and helped me study for the exam.

We went to the FCC office in NYC (we lived in NJ) I passed the novice class exam and my Dad took the General.

So at age 13 in 1952 I became WN2NIN and Dad was W2NDW. I soon upgraded to General ,became W2NIN

and started working on

DXCC with a Heath DX100 transmitter I purchased with money I earned caddying at a Golf course.

It took a while, but I made DXCC in 1954. I still chase dx today and still get the same thrill as I did then.

I spent time at Rutgers University, 4 years in the Navy during which I became an Electronics Technician

and was stationed on an Essex Class Aircraft Carrier the USS WASP CVS-18. I spent time working on every type

of gear on that ship. Radio, Radar, and also was the guy they found out actually liked climbing the mast and working on antennas! I advanced to EXTRA class after the FCC went to incentive licensing and I really needed those CW bands.

In about 1978 The FCC made 2 letter call signs availble and I became K2UR After the Navy I went to work at IBM and retired after 36 years with "BIG BLUE" I have been contesting dxing and rag chewing on Cw to my hearts content ever since!

K2UR George Miller, Fredericksburg, Indiana, USA
    73 Al 4L5A
  •  

Information from K5NA:
    It is with sadness that I report that George Miller, K2UR (ex. W2NIN) died on Wednesday, August 4, 2021. The past 15 years or so, George was living in Indiana to be near family but was still active on the air.

Many of you will remember that George was an enthusiastic contester and was one of the 80M operators at the N2AA multi-multi efforts at K2GL's in Tuxedo Park, NY back in the 70s and 80s.

George was also a DXer and had 372 Mixed DXCC countries. Good numbers.

He was a good friend for 40+ years, a fishing buddy, and a team contesting member with us for many radio contests through the years, both in New York and Texas.

RIP George.

73, Richard - K5NA
    73 Al 4L5A

Comment

Working...
    X