Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

OH5NQ - Peter Tigerstedt - Elimaki - Finland

Peter Tigerstedt, OH5NQ, OH2BM from Elimaki, Finland, passed away.
    He born in 1936.
    Peter was very active Radio Amateur, DXer and Contester.
    He was leader and sponsor of the OH5Z Contest station.

OH5NQ Peter Tigerstedt, Elimaki, Finland
    73 Al 4L5A
  •  

ESPOO, FINLAND, OCTOBER, 21ST, 2022
    VERY SAD OCTOBER NEWS FROM THE NORTHERN VILLAGE
    Peter Tigerstedt, OH5NQ & OH2BM SK
    Peter is gone. Amateur Radio in Finland has lost one of its giants. Peter was a real ham in many ways; he was one of the three pillars, OH5SM, OH5NW and OH5NQ, of the Mustila trio who left their mark on not just local but also international amateur radio. All three are gone now. Peter took the international route. As a visiting professor in many parts all around the globe, he always became
    integrated with the local amateur radio community. A great example being W9YT, the University of Wisconsin.
    Peter was one of the pioneers at both ends of the HF radio spectrum; 160M and 6M, and his contributions to both were significant. The multi-multi contesting scene in Finland was very much born around the Mustila Mansion and their battles with a more recently born team at OH2AM. These battles could be described as fierce but friendly. So much so that the rivals finally teamed up for yet another world win.
    Peter was a mentor for a large portion of the younger OH contest generation and maintained an impressive multi-station OH5Z at the Mustila Estate as its host and sponsor. Now the OH5Z group has lost their “father figure” and are looking longingly towards the horizon.
    When not involved in the many facets of Amateur Radio, Prof. Dr. Peter Tigerstedt was a world renowned scientist, plant breeding expert and professor emeritus at the Helsinki University. He was perhaps most famous as being the founder of the rhododendron breeding program at Mustila Arboretum. He remained the chairman of the Mustila Arboretum Foundation all the way till his passing.
    If you wish to remember Peter and honor his legacy, perhaps you can plant a rhododendron P.M.A. Tigerstedt, named after him. They grow to reach impressive heights, much like everything else Peter did during his lifetime.
    Our condolences to Peter’s wife Irma and the whole family.
    The team OH2AM and OH fraternity
    73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

Al,

Thank you for a very respectful obituary for a very special Ham.

Somehow, I failed to see your post in late October, and only yesterday Scott K9MA, during ARRL DX Contest informed me that Peter has passed away. I was shocked I did not even fully understand what Scott said, but this morning he wrote me an email that confirmed what he told me yesterday. I started googling, as I just a week or two ago was looking at Peter's QRC.COM, and found nothing that indicated he was not with us anymore

I met Peter several times when he invited me to operate with the OH5Z Team. Before and after that, we had QSOs regularly on the bands. My last contact was Oct 1st 2022, just a little more than a week before he passed away (Oct 10th). We agreed that we should try to meet in the spring of 2023, on my long car journey to SM6 via UA1 and OH. Nothing during the QSO indicated what later was going to happen. Peter's voice was as always.

I very sad loss for Finnish and International Ham Radio. Peter was a true Ham Spirit man with open heart and mind for every radio amateur in the world. I was so happy I had a chance to meet him in Mustila, and remember how we were sitting in his house talking for hours and hours, when the rest of the gang was in the radio shack slightly away from the house.

Rest in Peace my Friend Peter! I will definitely follow Al's recommendation and look for a rhododendron P.M.A. Tigerstedt, to plant near my antenna tower at my Moscow RM2D location!

73 de Mats RM2D (SM6LRR)

Comment

Working...
      X