Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

AA5B - Bruce Draper - Los Ranchos - USA

Bruce L. Draper, AA5B from Los Ranchos, New Mexico, USA passed away 26 October 2022.
    He born in 1954.
    Information from his qrz page:
    I'm ex WN3LMY (my first license, Delaware, 1968), WA3LMY, N2UT, ZF2HL, XEFJTW (no, that's not a typo), 4C2JTW, XE2JTW, and VK8ABD. I love being on the air, period, but I get the biggest kick out of contesting. I use my own callsign most of the time, but I've also spent time at XE2KJ, XE2NQ, K5TA, K9RS, ZF2HM, VP5K, HC8N. I've operated from all continents, and a lot of that was with my little Elecraft K1.

AA5B Bruce Draper, Los Ranchos, USA
    73 Al 4L5A
  •  

Information from Ray, K9RS:
    I am very sad to let everyone know that my friend Bruce Draper, AA5B, lost his battle with brain cancer and became a silent key last night.

Bruce was a great friend of mine for over 50 years. We met in High School in Delaware and then were both Electrical Engineering Majors at the University of Delaware. He and his wife Dorothy moved to Albuquerque after completing an MSEE from Princeton and Bruce had a long career at Sandia Labs. The move to New Mexico resulted in the AA5 Banana call sign which became quite active and started to appear in many contest logs.

Over the years Bruce distinguished himself as both a single operator and multi-op contestor. I was privileged to be part of many multi-op teams with him and appreciate all of those memories. He was a great teammate and I will miss him.

Many of you will remember him from the many QSO's but some will also recall his time as an editor of NCJ as well as the Contest Calendar in QST.

While it is sad to say good bye Bruce's life and his many accomplishments deserve to be celebrated.

RIP OM

Ray K9RS
    73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

Bruce L. Draper, AA5B SK

Bruce Draper, 68, beloved husband, father, grandfather, son, and brother, was called home to the Lord on October 25, 2022, after a short but valiant fight with glioblastoma. He was born to Jeanette and the late J. Donald Draper on July 18, 1954, in Wilmington, DE.

Before graduating from the University of Delaware with a degree in engineering, Bruce married his high school sweetheart, Dorothy Ferenc. He went on to attend Princeton University Graduate School for electrical engineering.
      Bruce worked at Sandia National Laboratories for 42 years, where he was named Distinguished Member of the Technical Staff, specializing in microelectronics.

He retired in 2019, giving him more time to pursue his wide-ranging interests in amateur radio, guitar, volleyball, dog agility training, and biking. He left an incredible legacy as a mentor to many, a loyal friend, and our fiercely dedicated patriarch.

Bruce is survived by his mother, Jeanette; sister, Barbara and her husband, Steve Sylvester; wife of 46 years, Dorothy; 3 daughters, Alison and husband, John Cummings, Bryn and husband, Craig Hauquitz, and Catie and husband, Ken Kraper; and 13 grandchildren, whom he dearly loved.

Bruce's family invites you to join us for a funeral Mass on Friday, November 4, at Prince of Peace Catholic Community at 11:00 a.m.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Watermelon Mountain Ranch Animal Rescue or charity of choice
      To send flowers
      to the family, please visit our floral store.
      Published by Legacy on Nov. 1, 2022.
      https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries...ry?id=36958921

Comment

Working...
      X