Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

K3ZO - Alfred Laun - Temple Hills - USA

Fred Alfred A Laun, III, K3ZO from Temple Hills, Maryland, USA, passed away.
    Fred born in 1937.
    He was very active Radio Amateur active DXer and Contester.
    Many remember his activity as HI8XAL, LU5HFI, HS5ABD .......
    Fred was Great Friend.
    RIP.

K3ZO Fred Laun, Temple Hills, Maryland, USA
    73 Al 4L5A
  •  

Information from Champ, E21EIC:
    Uncle Fred still alive at ICU.
    73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

Fred is still alive and fighting for life. May God grant him victory in this struggle.
      73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

Information from Yuri, VE3DZ:
        I never said that K3ZO is Silent Key. He is at ICU, but the decision has been made by everyone with authority and Fred will be taken off life support. The docs are saying that his heart is too week and the complete kidney failure is allowing his body to fill up with toxins and medications can’t be filtered out.
        They are planning on moving him to Hospice, remove the feeding tube and keep him comfortable till passing.
        73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

News from Tom, K3TW Thank you Tom:
          I just checked with the hospital and Fred, K3ZO, is still there undergoing treatment. Despite earlier reports, he is not in hospice care. So let's hope Fred can recover from his illness.

Tom, K3TW
          73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

Friends,

I just received word that our friend, Fred Laun, K3ZO, passed this evening at 7:03PM (local time).

As many of you know, Fred became ill on December 15 and was transported from his home to Inova Fairfax Hospital on the 18th. His condition worsened as time progressed. He was battling both an infection and COVID.

It was Fred's desire to not have any formal funeral or ceremony.

May one of our hobby's greatest giants RIP.

John, K1AR
            73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

Yasme is deeply saddened to announce today’s death of Yasme Director, Fred Laun, K3ZO, after a short illness. Fred fell ill in mid-December and his condition steadily worsened as time progressed. At this time, no information about memorials or remembrances is available.

Fred’s service to Yasme and other amateur organizations, spanning decades, was unsurpassed as were his contributions to amateur radio, for which he cared deeply. He will be greatly missed by the Yasme family.

Well-known and respected around the globe, we know Fred’s many friends world-wide will honor his memory, both on and off the air. Very 73, Fred.

Ward Silver, NØAX, President
              The Yasme Foundation
              73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

From Alex, KU1CW:
                The Legend of the contesting has left us today - Fred K3ZO.
                Glad I was able to visit him, tour the house which is really like museum and hear many, many amazing stories!
                Fred went around the globe many times and participated in many interesting “events”.
                Survived being shot and kidnapped in Cordova, Argentina… and many other dangerous and movie worth activities.
                Fred was 87 years old and everyone in the World of ham radio has his QSL!
                73 Fred!
                73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

My hopes, as well as the hopes of many other radio amateurs, that Fred would recover unfortunately did not come true.
                  Terrible news for me personally.
                  Fred was a friend for many years.
                  The man is a legend even in his lifetime.
                  It's hard to imagine contesting without him.
                  Fred has always taken the position that our hobby is outside of politics.
                  Was always an active participant in the CQM Contest and it is remembered.
                  RIP Fred.
                  73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

This is very sad news indeed. We have lost a great ham and contester.
                    I have many fond memories of Fred, dating back decades. I worked with one of his buddies from Thailand, HS1BS, at a company in San Jose. Fred would come to visit HS1BS when en route to Visalia. I was lucky enough to be invited to dinners with them (at a Thai restaurant), and then drive with Fred from San Jose to Visalia with other hams (VA6VEF and others). Fred was very engaging and helpful, with opinions and stories that kept the conversation interesting. I learned a lot about the world and about contesting from many hours in conversation with Fred.
                    Fred made contact with HK0BKX on San Andres Island, and got me an invite to operate at his station. It was my very first SOAB Contest-expedition, and it was a great experience. Then he made contact with a buddy of his in Peru, and I was invited to operate at the Radio Club Peruano station (4T4O) along with WA6VEF and N6BT.
                    When my daughter, Raquel, was appointed to the Naval Academy in Maryland, we had the chance to dine and talk with Fred a few times. They were good times.
                    RIP my friend.
                    73, Rich, N6KT

73 Al 4L5A

Comment

Working...
                    X