Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

K5NA - Richard King - Manor - USA

Richard L. King, K5NA ex KN5PFL, K5PFL from Manor, Texas, USA passed away, according to information received from YV5OK died in a tower accident.
    He was active Radio Amateur, active DXer and Contester.
    Richard was member of the Central Texas DX and Contest Club.
    Information received from Greg, YV5OK.

K5NA Richard King, Manor, USA
    73 Al 4L5A
  •  

Information from Bernie, W3UR Daily DX:
    K5NA, Richard L. King, died yesterday in a "terrible accident" as he was helping someone take down a 40 meter Telrex Yagi and was electrocuted. Richard jumped in at the last minute to try and keep the antenna from getting "snagged on a guy wire". The antenna hit a nearby powerline. Two local neighborhood nurses arrived within a few minutes and began CPR continuing until EMS arrived. Richard died on the way to the hospital or shortly thereafter.

Richard was a longtime DXer and Contester and one of the best at both!
    K5NA had 340/374 (current/total) confirmed in the ARRL DXCC Mixed Standings. He had 3167 confirmed in the ARRL DXCC Challenge of which
    321 were on 160 meters.

On a personal note your editor first met Richard about 20 years ago.
    He picked me up from at the airport. I was a speaker for a DX convention. He introduced me to Texas BBQ and drove me to a few of the Big Guns in the Austin Texas area, including a visit to K5NA. From that point on Richard and I had a wonderful kindship always comparing our Topband, Challenge numbers and talk about BBQ! He always had a smile on his face and was always with his wife K5DU, Susan.

My sincere condolences to Susan, another serious DXer and Contester.
    Bernie, W3UR.
    73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

From Alex, KU1CW:
      Horrible news - K5NA became a Silent Key in tragic antenna accident.
      I met Rich few times, visited his and K5DU, Susan home. Went to dinner together.
      Supposed to meet him in Italy WRTC - Rich was selected as a referee.
      Hard to believe!
      R.I.P. Richard
      KU1CW.
      73 Al 4L5A

Comment

Working...
      X