Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

N3SY - Boris Gavrin - Brooklyn - USA

Boris Gavrin, N3SY ex UU5SY from Brooklyn, USA passed away 24 May 2023.
    He Born in 1933.
    Information received from Georgiy, N2HO.
    Information from his QRZ page:
    I was born in the Lugansk region of Ukraine, USSR in December of 1933. My life was much like the life of many youngsters in those days. I almost didn't notice how ham radio got hold of me in 1950.That is when I got introduced to the hobby at the club station of UA6KSA in the Crimea peninsula, by the Black Sea. Soon thereafter I was an army radioman for few years.
    In 1961 I met the gang of UR2KAN - UR2KAW (then the club call of a Tallinn Pioneer Palace in Estonia).
    It was their support and guidance that enabled the opening of the UB5ARTEK (later U5ARTEK) - All-Union International Pioneer camp in the Crimea.
    U5ARTEK was a special callsign issued by IARU in Geneva in 1964. The Central Radio Club of the USSR heeded the request by the Soviet school kids to have a club station at the camp.The Chairman of the USSR Radiosport Federation, Ernst Krenkel (RAEM, SK) and Nikolaj Kazansky, Secretary (UA3AF, SK) signed the application to the IARU. The callsign was approved!
    I was in charge of that station for many years. This club station was on the air around the clock in those days and the callsign has become known around the world. Yuri Gagarin, the first cosmonaut, though not a ham, was once an operator of U5ARTEK - and probably the most famous one!
    U5ARTEK was graced by these Soviet amateurs who were at it controls at one time - UA3CA, UA3BA, UA3GC, UA2AW, UA2AO, UQ2BT, UB5WF and many many other Soviet hams from all over the country. Back in 1964 I was invited to attend the meeting of the Federation of Radiosport in Moscow, where I told the gathering about preparations to the first All-Union Radio Games in Artek.This is where I met E. Krenkel for the first time and invited him to visit the camp. Afterwards, I met him on the air many times. I was fortunate enough to meet Ivan Papanin, the man in charge of the North Pole -1 (SP-1) drifting ice polar station. Besides Artek, I helped organize a club station in Yalta UB5KUN - UK5JAR. Worked as a radiosport coach at club stations of UB5KAA and UK5JAA. Many of my Morse code (CW) students became hams themselves. For my efforts in developing amateur radio in Crimea and the rest of Ukraine, I was decorated with a 'Meritorious Radioman of the USSR' badge. For winning a Shortwave USSR Championship, I was awarded the title 'Master of Sports of the USSR'. My personal call in those days was UB5SY.
    Much later in life, when I moved to the USA, I passed my exam for a ham license and received my first US call of KC2FVN in 2000. I used it until 2006 when I passed all exam levels up to Extra and became N3SY. I now proudly use it not only from home, but also around the world, among my DXpeditions are 4X, KL7/N3SY, V44/KC2FVN, HR4/N3SY, HI3/N3SY, VY1/N3SY.

N3SY Boris Gavrin, Brooklyn, USA
    73 Al 4L5A
Working...
X