Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  •  

V62S News 21 November 2023
    The percentage of contacts in the log is low for NA. As such, I have tried my best to check almost every forecasted propagation window with that region on 12, 15, 17, 20, and 30 m. Unfortunately, my attempts have been a humpered by the fact that I fell sick with some stomach bug. Had no appetite and only drank water or the last couple of days. I felt a little better today, but still not even close to my normal energy levels. In any case, as I already mentioned in an earlier message on the IOTA Forum that I will check last night the propagation on 30m, from time to time. I have done it, and after 30 min periods of CQing, I only managed to log one or two JA and UA stations at a time. I won’t do that again. 30 m is a right-off here at this time on the year and solar cycle - sorry.

Propagation on 20 m was generally good during my stay, with nice openings into EU. However, propagation to NA on 20 m was a drag. It only opened one night, when thanks to the cooperation of (most of the) EU stations I was able to log a good chunk of NA stations. There was a substantial difference in the signal strengths between EU and NA at the time, and without the EU’s help most if not all of the NA stations would not have made it into the log.

The propagation windows to NA are virtually similar on different bands, which is why I had to decide which band to operate on. I picked up 17 m because signals were clearly stronger than on the other bands, i.e., 12 and 15 m. Propagation to EU has been best on 17 m, but also on 20 m. I received various requests and advice from different chasers. Unfortunately, I’m using just a vertical with 300-400 W. I’m sure that some of you could have done a better job, but I really tried my very best to give as many people as possible a chance at logging this new IOTA. As it usually happens, this also gave those who wanted to contact this particular V6 station on every band and mode a chance to do that. It was not how I envisioned this mission, but I am not going to challenge human nature.

The boat hasn’t left Weno as scheduled, but one day later. As such, it is expected to arrive here on Thursday, Nov 23. I have specifically requested a minimum of 4 operating days from Puluwat, but will see what happens in the end. Please refrain from making multiple contacts with V62P, so that more hams can have a chance at logging the rare OC-155. All this change of schedule has a pretty negative effect on me, amplified by the fact that I didn’t feel well for the past couple of days. I realize that I have to be relaxed and wait for the boat to follow its path, but it is certainly easier said than done.

My laptop died on me several days ago. As such, I'm taking the log on paper now! This is not a big issue but adds another wrinkle to everything else. Locals are very nice, and over the last couple of days they decided to leave me being the only occupant of the open hut next to the beach. One of them comes and sleeps in at night, but that's pretty much it. They also seem to have understood me turning them down on the tuba, that alcoholic beverage from fermented coconut water.
    73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

V62S from Satawal Atoll, Micronesia on 21260 now.
      73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

VE3LYC is start his activity as V63P from Polap Atoll, Micronesia.
        73 Al 4L5A

Comment

•  

V62P from Polap Atoll, Micronesia on 24896.5 now.
          73 Al 4L5A

Comment

Working...
          X