News 4 February First Logs uploaded to Club Log
AA7JV, K0IR, K4UEE, K6MM, K9CT, KT4TTT (HA7RY), N2TU, N4GRN, N6MZ, NA5U, NM1Y, W0GJ, W2GD, W6IZT, WB9Z from Navassa Island in February 2015 as K1N.
If everything goes to plan we could hear K1N starting 1 February 2015 for 11 days.
QSL via N2OO.
N2OO Chief Pilot.
EY8MM - Central Asia
HK1R - South America
JA1ELY - Asia Zone 25
K2SG - North America
KF5NYQ - Youth pilot
MM0NDX - Europe
V51B - Africa
ZL2AL - Oceania
Navassa Island disputed, but prominent region of Caribbean
Uninhabited, smaller and disputed these words best describe Navassa Island, which is situated inside Caribbean. Its administration is carried out by United States. However, readers should notice the point that Haiti is a state that is situated near the islet and since year 1801 it has been claiming that Navassa Island is included in its law and claims that it should be considered as one of the territories of Haiti. However, U.S doesn’t recognize any such claims and considers Navassa Island its part and maintains control of it. The island has received a lot of attention because of this dispute, but stays uninhabited. It’s basically shaped like a pear and cliffs of limestone are present on its sides.
The land is extended over 5.2 kilometer square and according to valid estimates its situated at a distance of 46 M; 74 kilometer to the west of Haiti. Towards south naval base of United States is present. When Dunning Hill is reached the region gets an elevation of 76 meters. Land of Navassa Island mostly has the inclusion of corals also limestones that has been exposed, but suffice grass is present for supporting goats. Interesting point to mention here is that forest of this region only provides home to 4 species of tree and this is something of significant impact. In fact according to geologists topography as well as ecology of Navassa Island is very much related with Mona islet which is actually a smaller limestone islet situated in Mona Passage. Also, historical similarities are present among both islets as each one of them is under control of United States and during some phase of history these islets were considered as mining centers for guano currently these have been given status of natural reserves. Coming towards wildlife of Navassa Island eight endemic species of reptiles are associated with this islet and four of these prominent species are now classified as extinct, but remaining can be found commonly even now.
Some important historical facts associated with Navassa Island
It was Columbus who discovered this pear shaped piece of land inside Caribbean in 1498 after this its rediscovery was carried out by Guano Rush in year 1856. It acted as an important Guano mining center till 1898. The construction of Panama Canal made this islet a hazard for shipping and this led to the development in year 1917 of a one hundred and sixty two foot long lighthouse by the United States relevant department here. Another important development took place in year 1999, when area went into control of Fish and Wildlife Services of United States so that it can be handled as NWR. The main aim present behind this step was to provide protection to ecosystem of this important islet also its coral reef needed special consideration. This development so far has provided improved and better results. Refuge is not open for public as any kind of exposure is believed to be damaging also you will not find any kind of beach in Navassa Island. In fact islet is arising from sea in an abrupt manner extending to height of twenty meters even more. This islet has acted as an important center for research and main focus of all such studies was to document status of resources of coral reef also cataloging resources that are present terrestrially and these have inclusion of plants, birds and reptiles. The biggest advantage of studying corals of this islet is that you can exposure to coral reefs, which have faced very less exposure to humans. The basic reason present behind establishment of this refuge is protecting and preservation of Navassa Island’s biodiversity, heritage, and health also economic as well as social values associated with ecosystems and marine environments.
Some important aspects associated with natural history of Navassa Island are being mentioned below
- The official estimates suggest that from1865 to 1901 a million tons of birds of Guano were removed from islet.
- Larger colonies of seabirds are present here and they are responsible for capturing attention of nature lover to a greater extent.
- Four endemic species of lizard call this place home.
Objectives of refuge
Some prominent objectives of refuge are being highlighted below
- For preservation and protection of ecosystem of coral reef also, associated marine environments.
- Restoration and enhancement of localized wildlife also plants
- Development and delivering of opportunities associated with research.
Tools that are being used for management
- Monitoring wildlife
- Vegetation monitoring
- Scientific research
- Monitoring Coral reef
Some important points for travelers
This islet is uninhabited, but it manages to capture the attention of researchers because of its location and wildlife. But most important point is that you just can’t go and move around Navassa islet in a regular manner because specialized procedures are there to be followed and respecting defined guidelines is better not only for your safety, but also for the islet. Below we will highlight some important points that must be considered by people who want to visit Navassa Island.
- First of all this is a dangerous land so those who want to visit it will first have to take permission from Fish and Wild Office. If your application is rejected, then don’t make any attempts to visit the islet in any illegal manner.
- You are not going to find any airstrips upon islet.
- The only available choice offshore anchorage as you will not find harbors.
- No prominent economic activity takes place on Navassa Islet.
- We have already mentioned above that Navassa islet is uninhabited and you are not going to find decent accommodation facilities here for this reason. Camping is the best possible option and this strategy is adopted by fishermen from Haiti.
- Laws defined by relevant authorities are for the safety of islet and visitors so they should be given proper respect and value.
- In case you want to stay healthy, then don’t drink water that is available on this islet as its not considered safe.