Rich, PA0RRS will be active from Penang Island (IOTA AS-015) 1 January- 4 February 2015 as 9M2MRS.
He will be active on 30-10m CW, RTTY.
QSL via home call, OQRS, LOTW, eQSL.
Penang Island representing the history of Malaysia
The state of Penang is situated in Malaysia and it can be found on the map at the northwestern coast of the Peninsular Malaysia. The state is highly developed and acts as a strong economic center of the country and the best part is that it captures the attention of tourists from around the globe. Penang Island is included in Penang and is situated at the western coat of Peninsular Malaysia. In the year 1978 the island was given the name Prince of Wales when it was captured by British East India Company. In a similar fashion its capital was named as the George Town. These steps were taken for honoring British royals. Penang island is of very high significance as it’s the 4th largest island of the country also it supports a great population. The popular Penang Bridge connects the island with central land. The central land area of the state is also known as Seberang Perai.
This magnificent island is rich of natural beauty and has a special history associated with it. It is believed that genuinely Penang was included in Malay Sultanate of Kedah. In the year 1786 it was given the name of Prince of Wales after the landing of Captain Francis Light. It is important to mention here that Francis Light is given the title of founder of Penang because he gave this island to the Indian Government and assured the Sultan that protection will be given to him against enemies that were positing prominent threats. In addition, to this he has many other significant contributions.
The records suggest that in the beginning a good number of people became victims of Malaria brining problems and deaths. Sultan was not aware of the fact that Francis had finalized matters without taking confirmation from the East India Company in relation to allotting security. Company didn’t provide any kind of assistance when Kedah was attacked by one of its enemies and because of this reason Sultan in the year 1799 again made an effort for retaking the isle, but he failed.
In the year 1826 Penang was included in the Straits Settlements and this moved the island directly into the rule of British. In the year 1946 it was included in the Malayan Union. It gained independence in the year 1957 and was named as Malaysia in the year 1963 and since then Penang Island is known as a part of Malaysia, but it has strong influencing capacity because of the strong culture and deep history. Till the year 1969 island enjoyed a free port status.
In the year 2008 George Town was given the honor of being World Heritage Site of UNESCO and this recognition was given because of the fact that this part of the world had a brilliant culture and architectural value and landscapes and its equal is nowhere to be found in the Eastern world as well as Asia. This has given a lot of significance and value of to George Town.
It is the famous capital of the state and it has been named after King George III. The capital is situated in the north eastern corner of the island of Penang. Important point to mention here is that George Town is considered as the 2nd largest metropolitan of the country. Interesting aspect related with this city is that it is also known by the name of Tanjung in the language that is commonly used in Malay. This name has taken its roots from the old name of the city that was Tanjung Penaga. As we have mentioned earlier George Town holds the status of being World Heritage of Site of UNESCO. Till 1970 the town was mostly noted for the fact that it had one of the best transportation systems of the country. Presently a decent network of roads connects different parts of the town. In addition to this sport related events are also arranged in the city stadium. The government gives a lot of value to this place because of the fact that it acts as a direct cultural representative of the country in front of the world and also is a prominent tourist attraction. Some popular attractions found in the capital are being mentioned below
- Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee clock tower
- Fort Cornwallis,
- The City Hall,
- Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion,
Some interesting places inside the Penang Island
- Juru (Highway Auto City) is a prominent attraction associated with this island. It’s an ideal place for food lovers who can enjoy different types of international cuisines here. In addition, to this entertaining outlets, service center, boutiques and much more is there for providing you an ideal time. It can be regarded as one of the best places that Penang has because of the high level of activity that takes place here.
- The Queensbay Mall is the major Mall of Penang and has complete potential of providing an amazing shopping experience. In addition, to this many other traditional markets along with night shopping areas can e found here.
- The (Cross Penang Bridge) that has been mentioned above as well is counted in the longest bridges of Asia it provides an amazing and detailed view of the island also it is responsible for connecting central land with the island. The (Kek Lok Si) temple is situated in the popular Ayer Itam it is one of the largest temples of Buddhists situated in the region of south East Asia. It is also a very popular temple of the island and is known for its magnificent structure and architecture.
- Batu Ferringhi Beach is a beautiful and most attractive beach of the island and it’s noted for providing amazing sceneries and views. For the entertainment of visitors a good of number restaurants as well as hotels are also located in this region.
In short, Penang Island is a wonderful place and is not only rich historically, but also cultutally.