LU6LGA will be active from Antarctic San Martin Base, Barry Island (IOTA AN-016) until end of March 2015 as LU1ZD
He has novice license and can operate only on 80 and 10m
He will try to use frequncy 28.340 MHz
QSL via LU4DXU
San Martín Base (Spanish: Base San Martín) is a permanent, all year-round Argentine Antarctic base and scientific research station named after General José de San Martín, the Libertador of Argentina, Chile and Perú. It is located on Barry Island, Marguerite Bay, Antarctic Peninsula.
At the time of its foundation in 1951, it was the first human settlement south of the Antarctic Circle.As of 2014[update] it is Argentina's westernmost permanent base.
As of 2014[update] San Martín is one of 13 research bases in Antarctica operated by Argentina.
The increased Antarctic activity that Argentina developed since 1940, along with the longstanding national interest to exercise effective sovereignty over one of the most remote areas of Antarctica created the need for a scientific station located south of the Antarctic Circle.
In order to transport the personnel and materials to Marguerite Bay, where the new settlement was to be built, the Argentine Navy hired the Santa Micaela. Commanded by Overseas Captain Santiago Farrell, it was a cargo ship belonging to the Argentine shipping company Pérez Companc S. A.. The Santa Micaela left the port of Buenos Aires on 12 February 1951, and on 8 March it anchored at Marguerite Bay. The last part of the trip it was escorted by the Argentine Navy tug ARA Sanavirón.
Over twelve working days the crew built the two-story main house with double wooden walls, a main deposit, an emergency house, five metal warehouses for supplies, housing for the dog packs, a power generator and the four towers for the 25 metres (82 feet) high rhombic antenna.
San Martín was inaugurated on 21 March 1951, in the presence of the Santa Micaela and ARA Sanavirón crews and the base personnel leaded by then Colonel Hernán Pujato.
Since then, the meteorological station within the base provides detailed weather records and develops forecasts indispensable for the navigation of the sea waters adjacent to the Antarctic Peninsula.
On March 1952 the ARA Bahía Aguirre anchored at Marguerite Bay bringing a relief crew through a Sikorsky S-51 helicopter transfer, the first of its kind performed by the Argentine Armed Forces in Antarctica.
On 30 June 1952 a fire, exacerbated by the ongoing blizzard, devoured the main house and two food stores, the power plant and the radio station. With rationed food and fuel, activities continued normally, carrying on with the explorations schedule as originally planned. During the 1952–53 season, thick ice blocked the way of relief ships, which aggravated the situation for the twenty base inhabitants. On 26 March 1953 the Argentine Air Force Avro Lincoln nicknamed Cruz del Sur airdropped food and other priceless items.
Personnel at San Martín Base conducted several exploration expeditions to the northern and southern boundaries of the bay. They also crossed the Antarctic Peninsula mountain range, reaching the Mobiloil Inlet on the Weddell Sea.
In 1960 the base was closed; it was reactivated as permanent on 21 March 1976.
On 14 June 1962 an expedition led by then First Lieutenant Gustavo Adolfo Giró Tapper left Esperanza looking for a passage that would link the village with San Martín. Using snowcats and sleigh dogs they explored Duse Bay, Prince Gustav Channel, Cape Longing, Foca Nunataks, Ameghino Peninsula, Jason Island, Cape Robinson and Carreta Bay, where they had to leave the snow cats and continue with sleds to cross the cordillera.After reaching San Martín, they traveled back to Esperanza, where they arrived on 25 August. During the trip the party overcame numerous obstacles and withstood temperatures below −43 °C (−45 °F) and katabatic winds of 220 km/h (140 mph).This feat is considered even now as the most important ever made in the area
Barry Island is an island lying in the centre of the Debenham Islands, off the west coast of Graham Land. Barry Island was charted by the British Graham Land Expedition (BGLE) under John Riddoch Rymill, who used Barry Island for a base in 1936 and 1937. Barry Island was named by John Riddoch Rymill for Kenneth Barry Lempriere Debenham (1920–43), the eldest son of Frank Debenham, member of the British Graham Land Expedition Advisory Committee (BGLE Advisory Committee). The Argentinian base San Martín is located on this island.